Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Torque arm ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm ideas?

Well I'm going to put some 4.10 rear gears in soon and want some opinions on a new torque arm. I found out mine recently broke and don't want to spend money on stock replacements. Always a better idea to upgrade anyhow. I will do a new clutch too either LS7 or Spec 3 as well (haven't decided). My AC Delco replacement has done well but with all the upgrades I don't think it will last much longer.

So far I've got LS6 (243 casting) heads, 918 valvesprings, hardened pushrods, LS6 intake, 224/228 114 lsa cam, LS6 melling hi volume oil pump, double roller LS2 chain, ported TB, LT headers, tru-duals with an x pipe, rebuilt tranny from previously known (t56rebuilds.com) now (sixspeedsinc) thanks again Amber the tranny has been doing great! There probably a few other things I'm missing but with all that said what torque arm/kit should I look at if i'm doing 4.10s? If I'm going to lose gas mileage anyhow I might as well lose it in all the right places
Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you want I guess. I have the UMI tunnel mount w/ loop. Helps plant the wheels very well, but changes the ride in the back dramatically compared to the stock T/A. The other T/A's that bolt up in factory locations will probably be better for ride and all around, but you risk tearing up the tailshaft of the tranny if you have bad wheel hop where as moving it off the tranny you don't have to worry about it. That's one reason I went with this T/A setup cause I don't want to have to fork over the money to get the tranny done again. I don't drive mine much so a little rougher ride doesn't bother me. Also something I noticed by going with the tunnel mount is when I was breaking in the Spec 3 I changed from the stocker to this and the shutter from the clutch wasn't anything like it was with the stocker bolted to the end of the tranny.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to go wrong with almost any of the aftermarket offerings. I have a UMI trans-mounted, adjustable TA, but I'm slightly lowered and wanted the ability to fine tune the pinion angle. I'm not making gobs of power (<112 MPH), so I'm not really concerned, at this point, about breaking the tranny. What blue98z said about wheel hop is key, though. Make sure you solve any of that if you go to a tranny mount.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to know is that the tunnel mount also transfers noises from your rearend and chassis so you will think something is wrong at first, but don't worry. The poly mount is what I have on mine and it isn't as bad as the rod ended ones.