Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dual disk clutch, flywheel and floater clean up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dual disk clutch, flywheel and floater clean up?

Just wondering what you t56 experts think. Have a 05' GTO with single turbo makes 735/745 to the tires and weighs in at 3900 with driver. Best trap speed so far is 134 but the clutch was sliping. It has a Ram dual disk system with stock hydraulics. This being the reason for the slippage I am sure. It worked very well for about 1500mi's. We found a leak right at the time we started to fell and smell the slippage. Line going up to the master.

Well anyhow, pulled the clutch and there is still plenty of material left on the clutch(s). Although the flywheel and floater have some nice hot spots. On race cars Dave would just take and hit them with a belt sander or da at the track (we are talking 6 second car with triple disk though). Would something like this fly on this setup? Saving us from resurfacing the flywheel and the floater. Would like to maybe get 7-10k mi out of this setup with new hydraulics and stainless lines.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. Understand that the hydraulics serve one function, to release the clutch when you push the pedal in. When your foot is off the pedal, it's just the pressure plate springs that provide clamping force. I would say that's where your problem has to be--the clutches or pressure plate. Check everything for damage and all surfaces for flatness--mainly to make sure nothing is seriously warped (one reason it might be slipping). If you resurface. I'd have it done at a shop to make sure it ends up flat and uniform (it's pretty cheap and would give you your best chance of success). If you can't find an obvious reason for the slipping, it may mean it's not up to the task any more.