Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Track / clutch question

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track / clutch question

OK so I did something stupid and I need to know if I did any permanent damage. I lined up for a burnout with some drag radials (second time at the track on something other than street tires) and the guy working the waterbox did not help me back into the box. Apparently I stopped a bit short so I did not have my tires in the water. When I sidestepped the clutch the car jumped towards the wall so I got on the brakes - a bit too hard. The rear tires stopped spinning but I could not tell. Next thing I know smoke is coming in through the vents and out from under the car as I proceed to spin the clutch rather than the tires. After my "burnout" was done I eased up to the line - soft launch - 2.5 60' but did go on to a 13.2. I drove the car home and it does not quite feel the same but seems to be holding ok. Should I start saving for a new clutch (again)? It was new last year, < 4500 miles on it.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any chattering after this incident???...how is the drivability? anything outta the ordinary now?
if you pulled a 2.5 60' and ran a 13.2 i would say the clutch is still holding
Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch is not slipping but I do think it is now "chattering" a little - not too bad but it was smooth as stock before. Part of me wants to pull the flywheel and have it resurfaced but if I do that I think I might as well replace tghe clutch. Still cannot believe I did it - oh well. I expected to break the rear not roast the clutch.

Search this Thread