Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just purchased a SPEC 1 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just purchased a SPEC 1 clutch

And i just want to find out what sh#t did i get myself into?? I have a stock one right now...
Will i like it LOL??
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw it in, and see how it goes. From what ive read, the Specs are hit or miss.. Ive never personally tried them though.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been using a spec stage 1 for the past 4 months/3,000 miles. break in for this clutch is a bitch; i babied the clutch for the first 2000 miles and didnt really get on it until 2500 miles. it wasnt until recently the clutch seemed to fully break in.

overall, its not great and its not horrible. it doesnt hold that much more than stock power and doesnt have that much more clamping force. pedal pressure if pretty easy.

the only problems i have with this clutch is chatter at take off. i expected some chatter but its kind of annoying at this point. and the chatter only intensifies the more you drive in stop and go traffic. and chatter also occurs during anything under 1500rpms at take off in 1st gear.

as i said before, its not great and its not horrible, but i sometimes wish i would have gone with an ls7 setup
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayerized6
ive been using a spec stage 1 for the past 4 months/3,000 miles. break in for this clutch is a bitch; i babied the clutch for the first 2000 miles and didnt really get on it until 2500 miles. it wasnt until recently the clutch seemed to fully break in.

overall, its not great and its not horrible. it doesnt hold that much more than stock power and doesnt have that much more clamping force. pedal pressure if pretty easy.

the only problems i have with this clutch is chatter at take off. i expected some chatter but its kind of annoying at this point. and the chatter only intensifies the more you drive in stop and go traffic. and chatter also occurs during anything under 1500rpms at take off in 1st gear.

as i said before, its not great and its not horrible, but i sometimes wish i would have gone with an ls7 setup
Thanx man, i actually saw one of your threads when i was searching for info. By the way, did you notice better throttle response once you put it in?? OR did it hurt performance?? I actually did not even plan on buying the clutch, today my brother ordered one, but for his automatic camaro . Now he does not want it. So i will take it off his hands. And also, the fitments are for 98-02 ls1 camaro and corvette. Trans am is not specified, you think it will fit my t/a?

Last edited by black_phoenix; 05-08-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

as long as the ta is an ls1 your all set.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkCloud
as long as the ta is an ls1 your all set.
thanx bro
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys, remember a stage 1 is intended to be a step above stock. We offer a number of stages that provide difference capacities and benefits. With a Stage 1 you will get a higher friction coeffecient organic disc and a stronger pressure plate.

Slayer...the plate has substantially more clamp load than stock...though the pedal effort is not excessive. This is related to way that we build the clutch. I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading your post realized that there is more to it tan a minimal increase in clamp load.

As for the kits being hit or miss...I have addressed this before. There is more to clutch life and capacity than the parts. A great deal of the responsibility lies on the installer and the person driving the clutch during break-in.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

my spec 1 only lasted about 4 months. im tryin stg. 3 i havent ordered it yet though. i hope that it will be a little better than the stg 1
Old 05-10-2008, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

Should of went Centerforce IMHO, I am not bashing Spec cause I have never used one but when I spent about 3 weeks researching between a spec and a Centerforce DF (12") the spec did not start to look so good. After hearing a couple guys having 30k+ miles on theirs I was sold on it.