Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch slippage..ideas?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new clutch slippage..ideas?

Im kinda stumped. The clutch feels good and engages basically at stock depth, but is slipping for some reason. RPM's increase but lacks forward movement. Car will move but not to match the engines RPMs.The only thing thats not brand new is the pilot bearing. I havent got on it so..Im still trying to kinda reaserch everyone elses problems before pulling out the tranny. Any ideas?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

How many miles are on the kit? What kind of power are you making? I am not sure if this is one of our units...but based on the info in your signature it may be. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Its a SPEC 3 clutch, with a new stock GM flywheel, 02 slave cylinder and a McLeod Adjustable master cylinder. (with the drill mod) The car dyno'd at 445rwhp and 443 rwtq. I am for sure that I did everything right even down to the torque specs. Nothing is leaking and the last time I tore everything apart to reinspect..everything looked good. I thought that it might be an o2 sensor or an engine diagnostic problem, but, my dyno'er said it was a clutch problem. I didnt put the shim in that came with the slave cylinder because the clutch felt good after the initial bolt up. I literally have less than 200 miles on the new components. It didnt slip initially though.

Any insight you may have would be great.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

anything?????
Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Get something else other than a SPEC clutch. I have never heard anything good about them from most that have them.

A lot of folks that are running the same kind of power you are running the Textralia clutches.

I wish I knew more about clutches to be more helpfull then to just bash on something or someone else's product......
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

yea, it sucks. I just cant accept the fact that the clutch is not good. Someone said to pull the piolet bearing out, pack it with grease and punch it out with a socket extension. I packed it with white lithium grease but could not get it out, so I left it in. It looked good and was still functional. Im thinking that maybe some of the grease got pushed too far back beyond the bearing. Could that possibly have coated the friction material on the clutch making it slip?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

You may very well have found the cause on your own. You mentioned that you had 200 miles on the kit and that it started slipping on the dyno correct. Well, our clutches require a 500 miles break-in period and during that time the material both heats and seats in. If you didn't complete this process you will not get complete capacity from the unit. I suggest that you stay off the dyno until you complete the break-in procedure...I don't mean you have to baby the clutch but just drive it...like a normal person for a few hundred more miles. If you have any further issues let me know.

Hey 00TA...I am not real sure I understand your logic:
"I wish I knew more about clutches to be more helpfull then to just bash on something or someone else's product......" If you admitedly have no experience with the product and you didn't intend to bash anyone then what was the point of your post. I don't take it personally...I just think there is great irony in posting negative things about a product you have no experience with...such is life I suppose.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

What I should have said is that, I have less than 200 miles on it after the initial 500. Durring the initail 500 miles, it drove like a normal clutch with minimal chatter. I did nothing to it to make it stop working properly. I took it to the dyno'er to hook up the HP TUNERS program to it to ensure everything was still OK. At first, I figured that it couldnt have been the clutch slipping becasue it was brand new and hooked great so far. I havnt done an actual dyno run for power sinse the new clutch install. I just cant find any answers. Im not going to go out and buy a new clutch setup....just because, you know?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Teching In

just had the same prob, turned out the flywheel when cut was not put back to oem specs. burnt up a centerforce dual friction in about 3 mos. went with the Mcleod package and couldnt be happier. do your research or its nothin but headaches and a assload of $
Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

yea, roger. I got a case of Miller Lite and all night to play with it. I will post up my findings and keep in mind the flywheel though.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Well, I figured it out. After dropping the tranny and clutch to find there was nothing wrong with it, I called SPEC to get some information. The adjustable master cyclinder was not adjusted properly. Its always the simple things that get me. Runs like a champ now.

Search this Thread