Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 bad bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 bad bearing?

I've got a '99 SS that I took for a ride on the highway last week. While going about 65-70, out of nowhere I started hearing a really quick fluttering noise coming from what seemed to be around the shifter area. The noise is the exact same no matter what gear I was in or if the clutch was engaged or not. It also starts to be noticeable after 25mph, getting increasingly loud with the vehicles speed. I took a ride with my cousin who used to rebuild trannys and he was convinced it was an output shaft bearing that went bad. I wanted to know if that sounds consistent with what's actually happening, and more importantly, if anybody knows a reliable parts source I can use to get both the bearing and synchro kits for the tranny. We're most likely looking to do the job ourselves, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like it could be a pilot bearing or something like that. if it is you better not drive it anymore and change it or it will wear down your input shaft and youll have to buy a new one. but it could be alot of other things too.

If your looking at rebuild parts id check with sixspeedsinc or D&D they are both sponsers and they both would have what you need for a decent price
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

I highly doubt its any of the bearings inside the transmission . Alot of times the driveshaft sends the noise up the drivetrain and you will swear its coming from the transmission .

Quick Reply: t56 bad bearing?