Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 Clutch Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Clutch Install Question

I have a dumb question but it needs and answer cause its bugging me....

How is the clutch disk suppost to be installed? Is it suppost to have the springs towards the pressure plate or towards the flywheel?

Reason that I ask is my brother is installing a T56 in his S10 and his clutch setup has FLYWHEEL stamped on the housing for the springs. And I have a spec stage 3 and mine had a sticker in the backside of the spring pack that says F.W SIDE.

Seems to me that Spec made a mistake cause I put it together the way they said and it fit like crap and the clutch fork was inside the housing about 1-1.5" So we tore my brothers back apart to look at his and his looks 100% better with the spring pack to the inside so thats how I put mine together

Heres a pics of how mine was installed, please let me know if its right....

sorry its the only decent pics I could find
Old 05-19-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

that side in the picture is the pressure plate side.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Is it like that on only Spec clutches? My brothers clutch has flywheel side stamped on the side on the pic. And on top of that it was a big PITA to install the pressure plate because its pushing everything apart. I guess I'll pull my tranny back out and swap the disk around

Anyone else want to confirm Revelation's post for me???

BTW thanks for the reply man
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

the way ive done most clutches, the flat side is almost always the FW side.

my centerforce is the same way.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Alright man I appreciate the response, even though your making more work for me LOL

Thanks for the quick answer
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone else? It just kind of blows my mind that my brothers stock replacement clutch has "FLYWHEEL SIDE" stamped on the opposite side of my spec disk. I'm still going to turn my disk back around and do it like spec says, but it just seems weird that they say the opposite from eachother.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Ok before work today I went out to my parents and pulled the tranny again and flipped the disk around and now my damn shift fork will not go into place. When the disk was installed with the flat side to the pressure plate the fork would go right in place no problem. Now that I have the disk installed with the flat side to the flywheel I cannot get the shift fork installed. I tried turning the motor over and everything, still won't go into place. I'm starting to think that the flat side has to go to the pressure plate despite what I have heard so far.

If anyone can point me in the right direction please help me out here. My PCM is going to be back thursday or friday, but I don't want to finish up the underside of the car if I have to pull the tranny again.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry man but you were wrong, the flat side is the pressure plate side and the raised side is towards the flywheel. SPEC labeled the disk wrong from the factory. The disk was labeled "F.W SIDE" on the flat side so that is how it was installed, then my brother told me to tear it back apart and switch it over and I did. Then when it was in the car I pulled it back apart and put it in the way spec said to install it, and it is now wrong and I have to pull the tranny again. This is really starting to **** me off.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the "raised" spring hub part goes towards FW. It fits inside the recessed part of the FW (where it bolts to crank)

flat part towards PP
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol!!! sorry to hear that, but don't feel bad, i had my trans in and out 5 times when i converted to an ls1 clutch 2 months ago, i feel your pain!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

HAHA I feel your pain man, I had it in right twice but I should have just stuck with my gut and left it in right the first time LOL. Got it out today for a drive with the spec stage 3 and it feels really nice

Quick Reply: LT1 Clutch Install Question