Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What all is needed/recommended for clutch replacement?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all is needed/recommended for clutch replacement?

I have a 00' Trans Am that is approaching 80k miles. My car keeps popping out of gear nearly every time I try to reverse. I'm pretty sure this is a syncro problem, so I figured that this would also be a good time to replace the clutch. I plan on ordering an LS7 clutch from www.sdparts.com, it comes with the pressure plate, disc and flywheel. I'm not getting any grinding noise when shifting into the gears the only issue is the reverse popping out. Should I still going ahead and get new sliders and forks, and if so would it be alright if I just went with 1/2 and 3/4 sliders.

Thanks for the help,
Andy
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you rebuilding yourself? Don't order any parts until you have the trans apart and can see what's worn enough to warrant replacement. Depending on how much money you're wanting to spend, common upgrades include:
-steel 3/4 fork
-billet 3/4 keys
-bronze fork pads 1/2, 3/4
-carbon syncros

As far as the clutch replacement, it's also a good idea to replace your slave cylinder/throwout bearing. With that many miles, you master cylinder may or may not be in good shape so it'll be your discretion there.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I would suggest for that kit to go with the max of what u can afford to replace.... LS-7 Clutch kits work great with some cars...and are nightmares in others...Look at some of the threads on here about it... IFY Very limited Tech support from alot of people selling the LS-7 kits....No were near the support of a aftermarket clutch company!!!!!!!!!

1. Slave cylinder w Throw Out Bearing (A MUST)

2. Shim... have a slave cylinder shim ready...I dont know why most people wont admit to it or refuse to except it but a ton of F-bodies have needed it. It will also ensure that peddle height will be nice weather it comes up in break in period eventually or not... (A MUST 4 THE PRICE $20-$40)

3. Master Cylinder Do drill mod and heat wrap... With ur mileage its a good Idea...New parts can weaken an older master cylinder quick... Will ensure that if any problems u can rule out the hydros... (A MUST IMO 4 ur Mileage)

4. INSPECT UR PRESSURE PLATE MAKE SURE FINGERS ARE NOT BENT OR UNEVEN OUT OF THE BOX!!!!! Probably the problem I have now...Inspect all parts to a "T" real good before you or somebody puts them in.

5. If your gonna do it urself make sure you have the best bleeding system you can afford!!!!!!!!! AIR IS BITCH TO GET OUT OF THESE THINGS....

I hope all the headaches and stress I suffered and the knowledge i have gained from some very helpful people can save you from having a problem with that kit!!!!!! Good Luck.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reverse slider can be flipped over, you'd be good to go with new 1/2, 3/4 sliders.
3/4 steel fork
A basic rebuild kit,
keys
pads

Pull out the shifter and inspect the plastic piece the shifter rides in the saddle, sometimes it's busted and 6th has to reach the farthest and popes out of gear.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM

You have a part number or a link for the slave cylinder shim?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by akira69
You have a part number or a link for the slave cylinder shim?
Ram & Spec both have them for like 12- 15 bucks...You will also have to wait for it to be shipped and pay shipping.... Or you can take your slave cylinder, a googled picture of the shim, to a machine shop and they can make one for u.... 1/8 of an inch thick or thicker if u want one just like the ram or spec ones... If you have a reasonable machine shop or know a machinist they will do it for $20-$40 ...
However dont be suprised if u get quotes of $50-$70. Just call around untill u get a reasonable price...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Are sliders and syncro's the same thing? Also, why would I need the 3/4 steel fork? Is that the most common one to go out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What all is needed/recommended for clutch replacement?