Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Won't go into 5th gear from 6th

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Won't go into 5th gear from 6th

To make a long story short I was at the track and missed 3rd gear. Ever since then The transmission won't go into 5th gear from 6th. It doesn't gring it just won't go in. If I go from 4th to 5th then I have no problem.

Other than that the transmission still works fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
wrencher

Trans needs to come out & be inspected.
I have seen that before & shift fork pads usually suffer first. But wont know till it is apart really what is up
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine did the same thing i drove it for another 1,500 miles or so pretty hard then i started losing gears. I had to get it rebuilt. good luck
Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

I had fifth gear problems that started like you described, eventually turned into a no-fifth-gear-at-all situation, turns out the shift fork pads like wrencher said above were completely gone. broke off the pad on the fifth gear side of the fork and left sixth gear pads intact with the clip holding 'em in.

if it is that, and of course thats just my experience, mebbe replace it sooner rather than later as I waited too long and it ground 1/16 to an 1/8" of material off of the 5-6 shift fork, so that had to be replaced not to mention the heinous amount of metal that I found stuck to the magnets of the tranny, that I'm sure had plenty of time to float around in the transmission before it got there. of course, the kicker is that it also demolished the clutch teeth on fifth gear, and the slider, so new fifth gear and synchronizer assembly as well.

Last edited by nine-eight; 05-29-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Great. This sounds like it's going to be expensive.

Thanks guys. I just don't get why it has absolutely no problem going into 5th from 4th
Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to Amber and Joe at Six Speed Inc. They replaced every gear but sixth in mine while being upgraded. i was thinking the same thing, that it was going to be pricey. It wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought. I bought the T-56 that lasted me a year to the day before it went. Stupid warrenties, but bought that for $3200. It cost me just about half of that to ship it to them, fix it, and upgrade it. Well worth it IMHO.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nine-eight
I had fifth gear problems that started like you described, eventually turned into a no-fifth-gear-at-all situation, turns out the shift fork pads like wrencher said above were completely gone. broke off the pad on the fifth gear side of the fork and left sixth gear pads intact with the clip holding 'em in.

if it is that, and of course thats just my experience, mebbe replace it sooner rather than later as I waited too long and it ground 1/16 to an 1/8" of material off of the 5-6 shift fork, so that had to be replaced not to mention the heinous amount of metal that I found stuck to the magnets of the tranny, that I'm sure had plenty of time to float around in the transmission before it got there. of course, the kicker is that it also demolished the clutch teeth on fifth gear, and the slider, so new fifth gear and synchronizer assembly as well.

I don't wanna hear that ****! Mine's been doing it ever since I got it and put it in a couple years ago!! I meant to rebuild it this week but ended up using my time to pull the engine for a damn broken bolt! Oh well.. gives me time to save up for more tranny parts and do it all once.