Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I think my tranny bit the big one tonight

Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my tranny bit the big one tonight

A local guy thats got a pretty badass STI wanted to race tonight. so...the tranny kept kicking me out of 3rd as it was, but if i kept pressure on the shifter it would be alright. Well after a few races (which i won) my tranny kept getting stuck in a gear, and being very hard to pull out of gear. Also hard to go into gear. Progressivly got worse. Now it is VERY hard to get into, but will go into 1st 2nd,4,5,6,R. No 3rd at all. It makes lots of noise, and can feel all kinds of **** through the shifter. When i try to go into 3rd all i get is the spinning metal grinding noise and no gear.

Is it toast? or did i just break something that can be replaced.

BTW i won every race! Even with the mess ups and quick fixes
Old 05-31-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill, if you go over 100 with most AWD cars they hit 5th and die. Sucks about the trans though. Have you tried double clutching it in?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 AM
wrencher

Well time to pull that trans & rebuild it
Sounds like you might have broke a slider key. But might as well go thru the rest of it as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, are there any sponsors on here that sell build t56's? all the ones i see only sell autos.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94lt1m6
Yea, are there any sponsors on here that sell build t56's? all the ones i see only sell autos.
6speedsinc, great work and excellent customer service
Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Cool it looks like they are cheap to.

Well i drove it today, it went into 1,2 just like normal and easy. 3rd was hard, but i pushed really hard, it went in, and now slides in and out easy, and 4-6,R all go in easy to. The only prob that i have now is it scratchs everytime i shift into 3rd or 4th. Every time.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

I looked at their packages at six speed inc. I noticed all of them are rated at 700 hp/tq and a 1 year warranty. So what is the advantage of buying the stage 2,3,or4 for more money. I see some of the parts are made of diffrent materials, im guessing stronger. If they are stronger, why arent they rated at a higher power?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94lt1m6
A local guy thats got a pretty badass STI wanted to race tonight. so...the tranny kept kicking me out of 3rd as it was, but if i kept pressure on the shifter it would be alright. Well after a few races (which i won) my tranny kept getting stuck in a gear, and being very hard to pull out of gear. Also hard to go into gear. Progressivly got worse. Now it is VERY hard to get into, but will go into 1st 2nd,4,5,6,R. No 3rd at all. It makes lots of noise, and can feel all kinds of **** through the shifter. When i try to go into 3rd all i get is the spinning metal grinding noise and no gear.
I am having the identical problem. it started out with 3rd and 4th gear grinding and popping out unless forcefully held in. now if i can even force it into a gear i am pretty much stuck in that gear. I swapped my pro 5.0 back to stock to try and rule that out, but it's still doing the same thing. this car is turning into a huge money pit. Please let me know if you find anything out.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Ok i will let you know, what i will probably end up doing is sending the trany to six speeds inc. and have them build it so i dont have to worry about it anymore. If i can just find out some info on the kits, core charge, time frame and all.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also rebuild t56's. Heres a link to our tranny page:

http://www.tick-performance.com/tickshift/

If you send the transmission to us, the turnaround time is usually 2 days on a level 2 build. We don't have any cores right now to build so you would have to send yours down.

Our level 2 comes with the main components that are upgraded or just need replacing in most trannys. If any other part needs replacing we'll simply call to let you know before we actually replace it. That way we're not selling packages that have parts you don't need and you know what to expect before we charge you for it.

Search this Thread