Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Flywheel weights? Advice on purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Flywheel weights? Advice on purchase?

I did a good amount of searching on here and google before posting this.

Currently shopping for a new clutch setup for my 01 Camaro SS...

The car currently has around 345whp/360wtq but I plan for a nice cam and possibly some spray in the future so I need a clutch that will handle around lets say 500whp...

I've mainly looked at the LS7 setup from Scoggin Dickey, the Spec III, and the Powergrip HD from RAM. With the Spec and the RAM I am torn between the billet steel and the aluminum flywheels.

I've read bad things about Spec and had a couple people tell me that until you get to their Stage 5 offering they are crap.

My main/only worry about the LS7 clutch/flywheel combo is the weight, but I really can't argue with the price.

So, what is the weight of the LS7 setup compared to the weight of the stock 2001/2002 clutch/flywheel setup.

Any recommendations on which way to go for what I need without adding a bunch of weight? I'd like to actually save as much weight as possible.

I'm aware the steel billet are better for the 1320 than the aluminum. My car probably wont see the track for quite some time since I'm still running the stock 10 bolt.

Suggestions? Information on weight difference?

Thanks in advance
-James
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Did some more searching and found this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=ls7

Looks like that clears up the LS7 weight vs the LS1 weight...About 8lbs difference

Should I expect to see the revs slow down and any noticeable loss in power?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Nobody loves me
Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for this guy, Im very interested in this thread myself, expecially the insite on the the spec 3 and the ram HD Because Im considering those two, for my c5
Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...I went from a Ram Powergrip setup that weighed in at 58 lbs with their billet steel flywheel to an RPS that weighed 37 - it was a huge difference SOTP. So will 8 lbs more be noticeable? Depends on how **** you are...I have a pretty sensitive butt-meter.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a spec 3 w/ almuninum flywheel in my car since before i bought it, and JUST changed it out. Put around 30k miles on it... and loved it. It STILL has life left in it, but i went turbo and it started slipping in the higher gears under boost. Its a pretty decent setup... never had an issue. But i do have to admit ive seen a few broken spec 3's (on ls1tech) with under 1k miles. Is that install error, inpropper breakin or clutch malfunction? I dunno.

I think at 500hp your going to be pushing the limit of the Ls7. Ive read pretty much nothing but good reviews on them. If its going to be a while before you get to 500hp youd probably be fine. You could always pull it out when you do end up adding power if it becomes an issue. I guess the question is, when are you planning to add the power?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Not to butt in but have you considered going to a twin? By using the search bar in this forum, type in 'Zoom Twin Disc' and you will see some of our post in threads on our D2 Twin Disc. You'll also see a link to a video of our clutch unit getting brutalized! It's an insane video clip!

Let use know if you have any further questions!

www.zoomperformance.com
Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an LS7 in my car... a Spec 3+ before that... I don't really notice anything different... except for it doesn't slip 405 at the back wheels here.

Edit: also add no chatter with the LS7 and a very good pedal feel.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel weights? Advice on purchase?