Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Manual Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Manual Transmission
T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by
McLeod Clutch

Shifting Problems @ High RPM - Done Drill Mod + New Parts, Bad MC?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Teching In

Trader Rating: 0
Default Shifting Problems @ High RPM - Done Drill Mod + New Parts, Bad MC?

So earlier this year i got a new clutch and slave. A couple months ago my master went bad, so i replaced it. However, i got it from the place i got my clutch (KY Clutch). It was $65 and i was short on cash (they have good prices on their clutches too, which are pretty good), otherwise i would have got a GM replacement.

Now when i replaced the MC i did the drill mod, and i have bled the system multiple times since. Pedal feels fine. When i try to shift at high rpms it won't let me go into the next gear immediately, i have to wait a second.

Do you all think it's just a POS master? It looked identical to the GM master that was in my car, but maybe it just sucks on the inside. Think it's that or something else maybe? I've bled it multiple times, but maybe that is still a possibility?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
wrencher

Trader Rating: 2

Hard call but have seen numerous problems cause this condition.
A poor hydraulic system, air or alot of freeplay in the pedal can cause problems.
A stock style pressure plate can be on the weak side. At high RPM depressing the pedal can make the pressure plate 'hang up' for a milli-second from centrifical force of the motors rotation. That can cause high RPM shift trouble as well.

When did the problem start? how does the pedal react/feel under those conditions (hi RPM shift?)
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Staging Lane

Trader Rating: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
Hard call but have seen numerous problems cause this condition.
A poor hydraulic system, air or alot of freeplay in the pedal can cause problems.
A stock style pressure plate can be on the weak side. At high RPM depressing the pedal can make the pressure plate 'hang up' for a milli-second from centrifical force of the motors rotation. That can cause high RPM shift trouble as well.

When did the problem start? how does the pedal react/feel under those conditions (hi RPM shift?)
I agree it could be one or a combination of problems
1966goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
11 Second Club

Trader Rating: 8

is your pedal getting Hard? Im having issues with this and Im curious to see what your problem is...
vetteboyc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Teching In

The pedal always seems fine. I'll go double check how it feels at high rpms. I was paying attention more to the shifting problem but didn't notice any weird pedal feel.

I got a new clutch and slave and everything was fine until my MC started going bad (sticking pedal, then no pedal). I changed that and bled it decently. Then bled it better a little later. And even one or 2 more times since. I didn't really hammer on it much after my new MC install. Only recently have i been trying to shift at high rpm and have been noticing the problem more.

Someone did say something about my clutch's pressure plate. It's a KY Clutch. I'll ask him about it. He said he had to get an adjustable MC due to the pressure plate. He couldn't operate the clutch until he got an adjustable, but mine has been fine. It seemed fine with the stock MC. I'm pretty sure it went out due to the mileage (100k miles).
Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Teching In

Trader Rating: 1
Default shifting problem

did you ever change the pilot bearing, it may be worn and cause the input shaft to still rotate
sacabuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #7
Internet Mechanic

Trader Rating: 17

Well I have the same problem....

went from a stock LS6 clutch to a Tex oz700. It hangs like yours.

I did a new pilot bearings, GM slave and had it power bleed, a stock MC and now a RAM adj. master, and their flywheel.

At this point since everything has been changed, I am going to put a shim in and do the drill mod. At the same time adj the MC down a little and see if it helps.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-cl...l#post17273103
BlackScreaminMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
TECH Resident

Trader Rating: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacabuche View Post
did you ever change the pilot bearing, it may be worn and cause the input shaft to still rotate
+1, also what clutch do you have and how many miles are on it/did you put at least 500 miles on it before beating on it?
TEA Stg 2 LS6 Heads, Mamo FAST 90/90, TSP 233/239 112 Cam, Vararam Intake, 85mm MAF, YT UL RR's, Ported TB, LS6 Manifold, 54lb Injectors, 160* T-Stat, U.D. Pulley, TSP 1 3/4 LT Headers, 3" H-Pipe, Z06 Ti Exhaust, DMH Cutouts, Centerforce DF Clutch (12") & a Hurst Short Shifter.
45X RWHP 41X RWTQ - DYNOJET
11.50 @ 122MPH 1.80 60' BEFORE FAST
LS1C5Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Teching In

Yea the i have a new pilot bearing. I have a "Stage 2" Kentucky Clutch. I talked to some F-Body people around here and some of them have them and say they are pretty good. Better than OEM but not real high performance. I only have exhaust and lid so it should be fine. Yea i put at least 500 miles on the clutch, if not 1000+ before hammering on it. I don't get on it a lot as is, especially if i have a new part, because i can't afford for it to mess up.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01, adj, bad, camaro, clutch, drill, hanging, hard, high, mc, mod, poor, rpm, rpms, shift, shifting