Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Wtf!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spec Wtf!!!

Well a long time friend of mine just put a spec 3 in his 91 maxima. Yes the car needs it because it is going to be a turbo car in the upcoming months. Anyway he had his shop put the clutch in along with a new flywheel and all of the nessescary parts to go with it. he broke the clutch in for about 500 to 600 miles, and very gently too without launching the car or any speed shifting what so ever. Well on his way home from new jersey after about 2000 miles on the clutch it completley fell apart on him. The shop dropped the tranny and found the springs from the clutch on the bottom of it. So he went back to the speed shop which deals with spec on a daily basis and Ive know the owner for quite sometime now and he said spec wont cover it because I quote " IT FELL APART DUE TO MISSING SHIFTS AND NOT DRIVING CORRECTLY" WTF is that ****, anyway they will only offer him half off on his next one. Unfortunatly spec is the only one that makes a clutch that aggressive for his car. He had a centerforce in there before with no isssues but it wont hold the power. I told him to contact spec himself and see what they say. Sorry for the rant just a little pissed that a company like that would possibly tell him to pretty much go screw.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same happen to me, another **** spec kicks the bucket.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if they have it for that car in particular, but the Spec Stage 3+ was supposed to fix that issue.

FWIW, I have a stage 4 in mine that gets beat up and never missed a beat.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Don't know if they have it for that car in particular, but the Spec Stage 3+ was supposed to fix that issue.

FWIW, I have a stage 4 in mine that gets beat up and never missed a beat.

Yeah he was going to go with the 3+ but he thought it would be way to aggressive for his car. But thanks I will let him know.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3+ would drive better. Is this the kid that beats his car senseless?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

I can certainly appreciate your friends frustration...have him send me some shots of the assmebly and I will take a look and see what we can do. When and from where was the clutch purchased? Let me know and we can go from there. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I can certainly appreciate your friends frustration...have him send me some shots of the assmebly and I will take a look and see what we can do. When and from where was the clutch purchased? Let me know and we can go from there. Thanks!
The clutch was purchased from south shore high performance in brockton mass. Unfortunatly he already purchased another spec 3 clutch disk, so I guess we shall see if it holds.

He had the owner of the speed shop take pics and supposetly sent them too you guys, to tell ya the truth I think the guy is screwing him over and that he never really contacted you guys in the first place. But oh well some people never learn. Thanks anyway for help. I will let him know
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Since you feel he is being shafted by someone else...why would you post this as though we were shafting him...perhaps a different title to the thread or an inclusion of your concern that this was the issue initially would have helped. Just a thought...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 AM
11 Second Club

My Spec 3 has been in two different cars, has over 20K miles on it now and probably over 100 passes at the track! Not a single issue yet, other than some chatter when taking off.... which is pretty normal I think!

Hopefully it all gets figured out for your buddy, but truth be told Spec Makes a Damn good clutch!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Oh without a doubt the spec clutches are a good clutch. i had one in my ss for about 20k on it without any issues.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Contact SPEC and see what they say . My salesman is Jeremy , you can ask for him if you'd like .
Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the support guys...by the way I am Jeremy...so he can talk with me via PM or over the phone if needed. I would like to see shots of the assembly as it will provide a great deal of information about the clutch. As a point of reference, the 1991 Nissan Maxima does not use a Pilot bearing. Pilotless cars have a greater tendency to suffer from increased input-shaft play which can lead to damaged discs.

The real issue is that over time the bearings that center the shaft wear and the shaft will then move more than it should. This outage is measured in thousandths of a inch so seeing it or feeling it with your hand is pretty much impossible. That being said, if this is in fact the issue, replacing the clutch disc will not ultimately solve the problem.

We do offer rigid-hub discs that are better at dealing with this increased play but they will have a harsher engagement. Ultimately using a rigid hub disc will be like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole...it may help short term...but as the bearings continue to wear the problem will worsen and eventually the rigid disc may suffer the same fate as the sprung unit. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Thanks for the support guys...by the way I am Jeremy...so he can talk with me via PM or over the phone if needed. I would like to see shots of the assembly as it will provide a great deal of information about the clutch. As a point of reference, the 1991 Nissan Maxima does not use a Pilot bearing. Pilotless cars have a greater tendency to suffer from increased input-shaft play which can lead to damaged discs.

The real issue is that over time the bearings that center the shaft wear and the shaft will then move more than it should. This outage is measured in thousandths of a inch so seeing it or feeling it with your hand is pretty much impossible. That being said, if this is in fact the issue, replacing the clutch disc will not ultimately solve the problem.

We do offer rigid-hub discs that are better at dealing with this increased play but they will have a harsher engagement. Ultimately using a rigid hub disc will be like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole...it may help short term...but as the bearings continue to wear the problem will worsen and eventually the rigid disc may suffer the same fate as the sprung unit. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I really didnt mean to cause any issues. It just sucks seeing a good friend of mine having to spend more money because of a mistake by his shop or whatever the issue was.

Anyway his going to come over today or tomarrow with the disk so I can snap some pics of it. I think he already has the new one in the car so it really isnt a big issue at this point, but anyway I talked to a buddy of mine at the speedshop to see if the owner was f ning him over, he said he wasnt and that he talked to someone at spec himself and they said that the way the clutch looked it appeared that it had some wear from missing shifts and other harsh wear on it. And because the clutch is already 3 months old that there was nothing they could really do. Regardless I will try to get you the pics anyway so you can see for yourself and to see what you think.

Thanks again for being patient and helping anyway you can. Justin.