Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble going into gear when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble going into gear when stopped

Recently (since yesterday) I've had a hell of a time going into any of the gears when I'm stopped. If I'm moving then no issues at all. It doesn't happen every time either, sometimes it could be 1 gear other times it could be reverse, 3rd, etc.

I know my throughout bearing is going bad cause you can hear it rattling. Not sure if this could be doing it. Then I'm assuming it could also be the 98 hydraulics's, since it does have 122K on them.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely a clutch issue, but have you changed your trans fluid recently/ever? Might want to drain and inspect the fluid, and try a fresh fill. If the fluid is burnt, it might be time for new synchros...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

changed the fluid about 10K miles ago, what came out definitely wasn't burnt.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, its dead, time to replace.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

haha, can you explain exactly what is dead?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

122k miles is a long life for a set of synchros/blocker rings, probably time to start saving for a rebuild.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

I understand the miles are getting up there, but I just can't seem to justify that the issue is trans related. It just seems if it was the synchros or something then I should have trouble going into gear even when I'm moving. The more I read, it seems like its the cluth and/or hydraulics.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Techically you do not need a clutch to shift, but beleive its better to have a working one.

I was refering to your slave its prob dead.

As for the trans, it all depends on the prev useage. A Bad driver can frag a trans in less then 10 miles....
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

I'm having somewhat of the same problem, my trans is hard to get into first and reverse sometimes also but all the other gears are fine when at a stop. Also 90 percent of the time I have trouble downshifting into second gear but all the other gears I down shift into fine. Sorry if I'm some what hijacking the thread, but I was gonna start one similar to it.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Its all good man, no reason to say sorry.

If you're having trouble only in 1st and reverse. Here is a section from the manual transmission FAQ:

Q: Why is my transmission hard for me to put into 1st gear and reverse? It seams like all of the other gears are fine. What could my problem be?

A: Most of the time if the clutch is not releasing the first sign is 1st and reverse problems. Check the clutch to make sure it is not worn. Bleed your hydraulics and replace if more than 30,000 miles on the slave and 50,000 on the master. While most of the time this is a clutch related problem, check the fluid in the trans to make sure it is full. Transmission fluid should be replaced ever 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first. You wouldn't let your engine go 10,000 miles without changing it!
After work I'm gonna try pumping the pedal right when the issue happens, maybe I can narrow it down further to it being the hydraulics.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
Also 90 percent of the time I have trouble downshifting into second gear but all the other gears I down shift into fine.
Downshifting problems, especially in one gear, is almost always a sign of bad synchro on that gear...

mike
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Techically you do not need a clutch to shift, but beleive its better to have a working one.

I was refering to your slave its prob dead.

As for the trans, it all depends on the prev useage. A Bad driver can frag a trans in less then 10 miles....
This is true, but while the car is moving. You do need a clutch to shift when the car is stopped, which is why this problem is most likely the clutch/hyd issue, and not the synchros. Since the trans fluid was clean, and recently changed, I'd concentrate on the clutch hyd. and TOB..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like I'll be replacing the clutch and Hydros and of course that noisey TOB.

Is the LS7 kit (cluth, PP, flywheel) the cheapest kit around? My car is pretty much stock and probably will stay stock for a while so if there is something cheaper I'll take that.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update

Changed almost every fluid this weekend (tranny, engine, rearend, clutch). Well the clutch fluid i didn't fully change, but I changed what was in the master cylinder container. Next weekend when it mixes all back up i'll change it again. It feels a lot different now, much smoother but still not perfect. Not sure if the transmission fluid did it or the slight change in clutch fluid.

Also, after some more driving seems like the issue gets worse as the car warms up. If I try to go into different gears when I first do a cold start, then all the gears go in perfectly. Definetly seems to be something to do with fluids/hydraulics.

What came out of the transmission wasn't burnt, there was very minimal metal on the magnet.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Well seemed as if the issue was gone, but it has come back. Maybe it was never gone, more of just a placebo. Today I was on the interstate in 4th and was going to go into 5th and was having a hell of a time going into 5th, so I was like screw it, lets just do 6th. Nope that one didn't want to either, eventually i got it into gear.

Then when i got off the highway, I was trying to trying to go from 3rd to 4th and 4th was being a little ****** also. I noticed when I was trying to force it into 4th there was a squeaking noise coming when I tried to force it, once it went into gear it stopped. After driving some more I noticed the noise coming from 3rd and 5th also, since at that time I was having trouble with those gears too.

Before it was only hard when I was stopped, now it seems like while moving also.

I keep hoping its a clutch and/or the throw out bearing and not something internal to the trans.