Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MT newb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MT newb question

When I accelerate hard my clutch pedal seems to loose most of its pressure. It is really easy to push and the clutch will engage just off the floor. It will stay like that until I pump the clutch and build the pressure back and after an hour or so it will be back to normal. My first thought was that my clutch is almost dead, but after a little time the feel is back to normal. I know the stock clutch is not up to the task of holding that much power, but my thinking is that it my the hydraulics because it only happens under hard acceleration and returns to normal.

A little background:
I have 55k mile on my stock clutch which I believe is a ls6. ( I have a 02 ws6)
5k miles ago I did heads and cam and now have 460rwhp and 400rwtq.

Is it just my clutch or is it both my clutch and master?
Also what do you recommend I replace it with?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, your stock clutch isn't going to hold your current power level for very long.....so I'd start saving for a stronger replacement. Sounds like your current problem is hydraulic related. First thing I'd do is change/flush the clutch fluid and bleed the crap out of it. Then make sure the braided line is as far away from exhaust heat as possible.....it's a good idea to insulate that line with some rubber hose & heat reflective tape to keep the fluid cool.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
First of all, your stock clutch isn't going to hold your current power level for very long.....so I'd start saving for a stronger replacement.
I already figured that and I am saving for that, but I just need to know if I also need to start saving for hydraulics’ too or not. Its my DD and I don’t get on it very often. I just have a problem with driving cars that are stock. haha

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Sounds like your current problem is hydraulic related. First thing I'd do is change/flush the clutch fluid and bleed the crap out of it. Then make sure the braided line is as far away from exhaust heat as possible.....it's a good idea to insulate that line with some rubber hose & heat reflective tape to keep the fluid cool.
Thanks I will see about doing that this weekend
Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jusTAnother
I already figured that and I am saving for that, but I just need to know if I also need to start saving for hydraulics’ too or not.
When you do replace the clutch, it's a smart idea to replace at least the slave cylinder at the same time since the tranny has to come out to get to it. The master isn't as big of a deal since the trans doesn't need to come out when replacing it.