Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with pro 5.0

I just installed a used Pro 5.0 that I bought from a member on here. When I shift into 2nd or 4th, I really have to keep some force back on it before releasing the clutch; if I dont, it will pop out and grind. Along with that, the neutral play (left to right movement) is a little sticky.

I first thought the external stops were not set properly, so I backed them up completely out of the way, but it did the same thing. I then re-installed my stock Hurst and everthing worked fine.

Also, the Pro 5.0 seems to be really offset a little high and to the right, it practically rubs on the right side of the console when in reverse. Is that normal? Oh yeah, I am using the Lou's short stick.

Any ideas on these problems? Im not too concerned with the placement, more with the 2nd & 4th problem.

The only good thing so far is the 2nd to 3rd shifts!!!

Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Might want to try taking the internal shifter springs from the stock shifter and installing them in the pro. Use lithium grease to lube the inside of the shifter. If you like the lou's handle you'll have to get another one for the pro. The one for the hurst is angled differently then the one for the pro.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 AM
wrencher

It sure does sound like the stops are not adjusted right????
The angled short stick will work much better that a strait one does.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE its installed correctly? Im not 100% sure that you can install them backwards, but when its correct, the writing on the shifter is upside down. Alittle decieving.

Short of that, Ide say take it apart and make sure nothing is in there causing an issue. Dirt, a stone, a broken piece etc etc.

My side to side is alittle sticky as well. I plan to mod the springs on the one side to give it alittle more "snap to center" action.

But with the stops adjusted out all the way, you shouldnt have issues going into 2nd or 4th...

J.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

ghettocruiser: It is installed correctly, I dont think it is possible to install it backwards. Ill try taking it apart later on to see if there is any trash binding in there. And right now I do have the stops backed completely out. How do mod the springs?

rich z: Just looked up the Lou's, didnt realize they were two different ones. That probably explains the shifter position.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was doing that. Except it would pop out of 1st and 3rd. The problem was that it had worked itself loose. So i just put some locktite on the bolts and tightened it back down no problems since. If you dont want to use locktite use some lock washers.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Took the shifter apart yesterday afternoon. I cleaned it out completely and regreased it. The grease in there was pretty nasty and clumpy, looked like a lot of dirt and a couple small pebble looking things; also I think the rubber boot was getting in the way so I trimmed that. I dont think it could feel any better now, just need to get the right short stick now. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fasttimes1
Took the shifter apart yesterday afternoon. I cleaned it out completely and regreased it. The grease in there was pretty nasty and clumpy, looked like a lot of dirt and a couple small pebble looking things; also I think the rubber boot was getting in the way so I trimmed that. I dont think it could feel any better now, just need to get the right short stick now. Thanks.
Yep I think that was your issue, you are suppose to trim the rubber boot when you install a pro 5.0 in these cars. that makes the seal from out side debris, and your normal leather shifter boot will keep stuff from falling into the shifter. So basically the lower boot should be tight and sealed below the stop bolts
Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah make sure you have your boot trimmed like this.

Also...for the spring mod, its a matter of putting some sort of spacer on the spring that controls the stick in the direction you want it to go...or put a space in both to make the side to side stiffer in both directions.

Some reference pictures. Most guys use a bolt head, since you can use alittle of the threaded part to keep it lined up.

A visual so you can see how the shifter snaps from side to side..

I havent done this yet, but Im going to when I put the shifter back on my car.

J.