Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Theoretically speaking....another LT1 t56 thread, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theoretically speaking....another LT1 t56 thread, help me out

Ok, SO..... if the early th350s an 400 autos can be bolted to an ls1 with a flywheel spacer....then i still dont understand why an lt1 t56 could not be used on the lt1. Yes, the input shaft on the ls1 t56 is longer, but is this simply due to a deeper bellhousing that is required for a hydraulic throwout bearing????? since the lt1 t56 uses a slave cylinder and a clutch fork, is it simply a shallower bellhousing and shorter input shaft?

I have never seen the two side by side, so i cannot tell. i only have seen a few comparison photos on here, but never of the bellhousing profiles.

if an early sbc auto tranny fits on an ls1, then theoretically a lt1 bellhousing will too.... my question is, If a neutral balanced sb2 flywheel is used, then could it work?

Please dont just respond and tell me input shafts and bellhousings are different, i know.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

You would have to use the LT1 style slave and fork as there is no way to mount an LS1 style slave.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

that makes sense for sure. the only reason I am pursuing this a bit is because i have access to an lt1 t56. I know budget builds never stay as such, so thats not my worry, but it just seems that the ls1 t56s get snatched up so bloody fast... and I have nothing of ths ls1 variety available locally. anyways, i will keep you guys posted on my soon to be ls! /t56 shortbox chevy as it happens. i am in the collect the parts stage. if anyone has any comparision pictures of lt1/ls1 bellhousings from the topside... let me know.

Am I correct to believe that the ls! engines have a neutral balanced flywheel?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy a LS1 midplate and input shaft from a tremec dealer, but it'll run you close to $500 in parts. But you'd be able to convert the LT1 to a LS1 if you can't source the LS1 units around your area.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Allvette
You would have to use the LT1 style slave and fork as there is no way to mount an LS1 style slave.

That's awesome to see my photos used. I took them for questions like these.

Quick Reply: Theoretically speaking....another LT1 t56 thread, help me out