Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

More clutch issues - New Slave and now slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More clutch issues - New Slave and now slipping

Well, after my clutch wasn't disengaging all of the way, I went ahead and pulled the trans. I replaced the slave which seemed to be quite worn out.

Bled the system and went for a drive. Clutch disengages now, but never fully ENgages. ARGH!

It is a Spec Stage 4 and yes, I did install the spacer plate that comes with the clutch. What should I do next? I can't imagine that the clutch is bad being it has possibly 5,000 street miles with NO strip time and is on a STREET tire.

Should I pull the trans back out and try without the plate? Should I do the "adjustable master cylinder mod"? Should I drive my car into a wall? lol?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well, just ran out for smokes and 1st gear is getting notchy again. I know this generally points to a bad slave but the thing is brand-friggen-new!

I am seriously debating tossing a TH400 in and being done with this trans.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Where is the engagement point (low, mid, high pedal)? Did the slave you installed match your original slave in overall depth? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. It seems that you are saying that the clutch worked fine, then it began to have issues with release, now it has issues with engagement. It is very unlikesly that this is speicifc to the clutch...as the plate does the same job through the life of the unit. Get me some answers to the above questions and we can go from there. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Spec

The clutch pedal is releasing a lot higher than it used to. The slave appeared to be the same height.

Lastly, you are correct... it wasn't disengaging all the way (bad enough that I couldn't get it into 1st AT ALL short of turning off the motor). Assuming it was a bad slave, I replaced it and bled the system. I also sprayed brake cleaner in to the bellhousing area just to be sure that there was no fluid on any parts.

The one thing I *did* notice on the new slave was that the old one had NO casted part number on the top section. The new one did. (The old one had a *stamped* part number on the bottom section).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Well, as long as you are sure there is no air in the system then pulling the shim will reduce the pedal height. A high pedal engagement can evidence a bearing that is riding the diaphragm...this can cause slippage if the bearing is riding the diaphragm fingers. That being said try it and let me know!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would measure how far the slave is being pushed back when the trans is installed. You can do the measurement with calipers and a straight edge. Open the calipers all the way. Place the straight edge, thin side against the bellhousing, dissecting the round opening. Take the calipers and place the tip of the heel end that comes out when you open the calipers up, against the high point of the diaphragm that touches the throwout bearing. Push the calipers in till the heel of them is even with the edge of the straight edge where it contacts the bellhousing. The idea here is to measure the distance from the throwout bearing surface of the pressure plate and the front matting face of the bellhousing. Now take a measurement of how far out the throwout bearing is from the front mating surface of the trans to the front edge of the throwout bearing when the slave and bearing are pressed FULLY back towards the transmission, compressing the spring back. You may be able to do this easier with someone pushing the throwout bearing back while you measure. As I recall, the slave cylinder has about .600 or 600 thousandths of travel. If you take your bellhousing number and subtract your slave number, you can find out your clearance. On mine, I had close to .270, so I installed a .150 shim to reduce the clearance to .120 and my clutch engages about 2/3 of the way up. If you measure and have a negative number, you def. need to eliminate the spacer. Knowing where you're at as far as distance will take guesswork and likely some frustration out of your install.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever figure out why you were losing fluid out of your old slave? Was the seal blown or was it cracked?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by P Mack
Did you ever figure out why you were losing fluid out of your old slave? Was the seal blown or was it cracked?
Blown/worn seal....

I would take it up with a certain someone that sold ...eh hem.. didn't sell it to me...

Water under the bridge though