Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-5 Won't go into gear sometimes. Clutch or Trans

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-5 Won't go into gear sometimes. Clutch or Trans

First off I have an '01 V6 with a T-5 and it's got 90k on it. So far as I know everything is original. I bought it with 36k and I can't imagine it went out before then. So, on to the good stuff.

Probably about 65% of the time, when I try to put it into 1st gear (while stopped of course) the shifter will go 1/2 way into position and just stop. Like there's something blocking it from engaging all the way. However, if I lift up on the clutch just a few inches (just before it tries to grab) it'll slide right in now problem.

If the car is rolling and I ease it into 1st it'll slide right in also. This only happens when I'm stopped.

Something is telling me that the clutch is going out, but I don't know exactly what would cause this. It's not slipping while engaged, though the "grab area" seems to have grown a bit and it's a tad sloppier when engaging 1st gear than it used to be.

A co-worker suggested that it could be the syncros in the transmission. I don't know a whole ton about transmissions, but I imagine if something was wrong with it I'd get this issue with every gear, not just first.

Thoughts? Thanx for any / all help.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad synchros will usually give the opposite behavior than what you describe. If you have trouble shifting when the clutch is in, it's most likely a clutch issue.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also this only happens in first gear, from a stop. No other gear and no other trouble shifting. Just first from a stop.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump just for a few more opinions. Anyone else concur that this is simply an old clutch that needs replaced and not the trans?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-5 Won't go into gear sometimes. Clutch or Trans