Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it my tranny, clutch, or bearing going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Is it my tranny, clutch, or bearing going bad?

Ok so us with camed cars know about surging between 1500 and 2000rpms well when I had my stock clutch/flywheel my car only surged a little around 1700rpm. After I installed a spec III and aluminum flywheel and after about 10K miles later My car started to really buck and surge bad under no heavy load anywhere between 1400-1900rpms! I remember hearing something like a spring shoot out from under the car at one time but the car still drove fine so I just figured it was something I just ran over on the road. It doesn't matter which gear or speed Im in it still bucks around this rpm range. What could it be? I'm thinking it may be a balance issue with the pressure plate or possibly the pilot bearing is gone letting the input shaft just bounce around when its not under a heavy load.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a greater tendency to notice surge is not uncommon with a lightened assembly...remember, it takes more RPM's to get out of the hole with a lighter flywheel. If this were a balance issue it would become more evident with increase RPM...and it would have been there from the beginning as balance doesn't change on its own. If the pilot were bad it could cause some strange things to happen but again this would generally not happen in a single rpm range. To be honest it sounds more like an issue with a dirty MAF or maybe a fuel or spark issue than something that is clutch related. Keep me posted on what you find. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for some info...What could be wrong with the fuel/spark? I guess I need to call my tuner.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size cam are you running? I have the ms4 and with spec 3 and really anything under 2k there is quite a bit of bucking and my tuner simply said that was normal. I really dont think you have an issue with fuel/spark or maf but the maf is super easy to clean so give that a try first. I can go back and gain more driveability out of it with my tuner but I just haven't had time to go back, I think you are on the right track with calling your tuner up again.

Quick Reply: Is it my tranny, clutch, or bearing going bad?