Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse sleeve

Got my trans all apart today... have a few questions.. reverse synchro and sleeve are worn to all hell.. now can you just flip over the reverse sleeve itsself and reused it that way or would i need a whole new sleeve? I have all new synchros to put in but the sleeve for reverse is shot on one side, i heard you can flip it over not sure if it meant the synchro or the sleeve itself... anyone? Also how many ***** are on the shift guide plate? just one? Cuz there was only 1 on my trans i think thats correct just double checking on this. Any input would be appreciated... thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That can be done. Be sure the stamped strut/incert retainer is secure on the back side.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reply guy. I looked into it myself and realized the guide plate only has one ball so i answered that myself.. i figured so since it is a 6 speed but I have worked on transmissions where there was 3 or or 2.

Only other problem I noticed was the front offset lever had some big chunks taken out of it so I just ordered one from ebay for $14 shipped.

Weird thing.. i took this trans apart and it was rebuilt before.. the mainshaft gears came right off.. they were not pressed. They used permatex gasket maker on the trans. All other synchros looked good but im replacing them along with new snap rings/fork pads since i have the thing apart.

This is on a car with 130k

Last edited by 96blackz28; 06-30-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the mainshaft spline where the 5th&6th driven gear is installed. If this gear came off without a press it may be a concern. It should be tight. If the shaft is ok , you may be able to install a new drivengear( its a spool geer/ two cuttings) and get the proper fit. It is common for this fit to be overlooked in a rebuild. With alot of torque transfer, the health of this fit is important.
Be sure that reverse fork is not bent. If the trans were clashed in reverse enough ( the sleeve teeth indicate that) there's a good chance the fork is bent. Also if the sleeve is damaged the clutch teeth on the reverse driven gear are most likely toast too.
The sealant is Loctite Ultra black RTV for the T56 so permatex is a reasonable alternative ,I suppose.