Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd Gear issues....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear issues....

my t56 has recently developed some weird habits with third gear....not very often, maybe 20% of the time, it will pop out of third if you dont really focus on holding the stick in position when releasing the clutch...It has never popped out once it has properly engaged, and I cant feel anything out of the ordinary when shifting. It seems like it only happens when I am preoccupied with something else, and dont conciously think to be careful with it.

From what I have been hearing it is probably a bad synchro, but wanted to get some more advice/opinions before doing anything to the transmission, and was also wondering if this is something I should take some immediate action on or maybe just live with it for a while....

Any thoughts on this would be great...thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same issue happen to me as well.Very rare though.Maybe 3 times in the 3+ yrs I have owned my car.

Sorry I have no answers man...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

mine does exactly what yours is doing to with 3rd gear. its not even possible to get into 3rd when i drag race at the track. from my experience with tranny's its most likely a syncro. i just dont feel like dropping the $$ to fix it but i dont want to hurt the gear anymore.

doesnt it scare the hell outa ya when that happens. it usually grinds a little to when it pops out and the stick vibrates like hell!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedformula
mine does exactly what yours is doing to with 3rd gear. its not even possible to get into 3rd when i drag race at the track. from my experience with tranny's its most likely a syncro. i just dont feel like dropping the $$ to fix it but i dont want to hurt the gear anymore.

doesnt it scare the hell outa ya when that happens. it usually grinds a little to when it pops out and the stick vibrates like hell!
I know!! I dont have any trouble with shifting at high RPM yet, but it wouldnt surprise me if something like that developed....I think I am about to get in touch with a tranny shop around here and see if they could give me a ballpark on repairing the synchro before I really screw something up......