Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch woes

aight. a few of my friends went out cruisin last night, ended up doin a few runs from a stop. Went to light up the tires, and the clutch slipped a bit. Chalked it up to driver error and went ahead with the run. Launched damn good, but when i shifted to 2nd, the pedal stayed on the floor and i was taching out.

Got that ever-so-familiar clutch smell afterwards, and i pretty much know what that means. Cars got 80k miles on it, so i pretty much am going to need to do a replacement of everything i think.

However, after reading around, my new thought is that my fluid boiled and is dirty. I just installed long tube headers about a month ago, and have been doin some weekend warrior runs. Last weekend i had a small slip when i was runnin someone else. Will having longtube headers cause a significant amount of heat on the clutch fluid lines?

would it be wise to try a flush first and insulate the lines before i totally rip everything apart? Car is making 342 rwhp; 346 torque; just got bolt-ons right now... will probably going bigger and better soon.

Right now, car drives fine. Pedal is good, i haven't done a 1-2 redline run yet. Makes me think the clutch might need totally re-done yet...

If worst comes to worst, i'll probably replace the clutch- thinkin the Textralia OZ700, billet steel flywheel, master and slave cylinders.

finding out what really is wrong is key, and fast!... because my plan is to have the tranny out and the clutch swapped this coming weekend if i have to replace it all.

Any input would be appreciated...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:24 AM
wrencher

Stock clutch? With engine mods usually = problems. Heck even stock if it is driven hard there can be issues.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Yeah... pretty much know that ill just need to replace it all.

Thinking of going with a Textralia OZ700 Z Grip, Mcleod Twin Disk, or RAM Powergrip HD.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing you need to do is do the drill mod and change out all your fluid with DOT 4. Try that FIRST and see if that works before you spend $700 on a new clutch. It worked for me, clutch doesn't slip at all now. I put a new clutch in, and it will still slipping till i did the drill mod.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

i used the Centerforce DFX clutch with a 15.5 lbs chromoly flywheel, grabs very quick and so far love it. If you do end up needing a clutch. It is VERY graby though, so smooth shifting will be very hard to do, lol.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scidav87
first thing you need to do is do the drill mod and change out all your fluid with DOT 4. Try that FIRST and see if that works before you spend $700 on a new clutch. It worked for me, clutch doesn't slip at all now. I put a new clutch in, and it will still slipping till i did the drill mod.
while very true... its an 80,000 mile car... so it needs to be replaced. Even if it isn't slipping itself... how much do you think the stocker will honestly hold up to untill it finally does crap out?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xxTwoZeroxx
Yeah... pretty much know that ill just need to replace it all.

Thinking of going with a Textralia OZ700 Z Grip, Mcleod Twin Disk, or RAM Powergrip HD.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
dude..u need to research, a twin vs a ram powegrip is the worst comparison ever... totally different leagues