Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Flywheel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Flywheel Issue

Here is the deal, I have an internally balanced LT1 engine, and before I bought a new flywheel I checked with everyone I could think of to find out if the spec flwheel is zero balanced and everyone said yes it was. I received the flywheel to find a weight on the back of it and not having any documentation on the weight and calling spec to find out if I need to take it off, and them telling me not to take it off, I just left it on (thinking that this was how the zero balanced it). So now after getting the car completely together I find there is a bad vibration presumably caused by the flywheel. I checked with a few forums and called spec again and asked to speak to someone of higher authority to and got a different answer this time, they told me I need to take the weight off and loctite the bolts back in. Now I know I should take the flywheel off and take it to a machine shop, but i'm just curious if anyone has had a similar issue with a spec flywheel. SC85S Thank you all for your help.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've installed 2 of their clutches and the flywheels should come ready to install.

I presume your vibration occurs while the car is running but not moving and increases with engine RPM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

I am not sure who you have spoken with...I have been out of the office since last wednesday at an event in NJ. In truth it doesn't matter who it was because I am happy to provide you with the applicable info and help with any questions you may have.

The LT1 flywheel is not 0-balanced from the factory and as such neither is our flywheel. That being said, all you need to do is pull the weight off the back of the flywheel and put a single fastener in the center mounting hole where the weight was originally. I suggest using red (hi-temp) loctite to insure that the bolt is secured.

Doing this will "0" the flywheel. In the future, if any of you need a 0-balance flywheel just let us know during the initial purchase and we will ship it to you with the appropriate balance. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Thank you so much for your help! Same flywheel, four years later. I'm trying to put it on an externally balanced engine but I threw away the weight. Can you help me order a new one? Thank!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Frank, I spoke with you earlier today and your order has been processed. As discussed, all you need is the weight and you will be good to go! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Spec Flywheel Issue