Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission fluid.....can it be a cause of this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid.....can it be a cause of this problem?

This stuff ONLY occurs when the car is hot....not warm....hot. I have headers and the line is about 1.5 inches a way from them.

During 3rd shifts sometimes and during pretty much every 5th shift and 6th shift.

If I shift too quickly (not high RPM either) the gear will grind a little before going into place.

Also, this happens less often, but when I come to a stop with the clutch in the transmission will make a light grinding sound and I can feel something through the petal.

I have 0 problems when cold. It also seems to work better if I"m on the highway night traffic (cooler) and not in stop and go traffic.

I've power bleed the system and really don't think that is the problem, but I'm not quite sure.

I pumped up the device to 20 PSI and let cracked the bleeder, but the fluid never gushed out like when you step on the petal....it just came out slowly through the bellhousing. I used 1qt during the process.

Do you thinking air is still in the line and that's why it didn't squirt out? What should I expect when using a power bleeder.

Or do you think the transmission fluid could be the problem? 2 year old rebuilt transmission by sixspeeds. I've haven't driven it hard since the rebuild either.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds like air in line or misadjusted clutch pedal. How far down does the pedal move before any pressure? And where does the clutch release once letting up the pedal? What kind of clutch, master, line mod and TO bearing do you have?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Sounds like air in line or misadjusted clutch pedal. How far down does the pedal move before any pressure? And where does the clutch release once letting up the pedal? What kind of clutch, master, line mod and TO bearing do you have?
Stock master/slave/TO (02 parts) all replaced at the same time
Centerforce clutch
drill mod
Brass pilot bearing

Pedal releases and engages very close to the top. It has about an inch of play (maybe less) on top and then it the clutch releases. During this inch or so the petal feels squishy...but like I said...not much travel at all.

What is causing these issues? Why the noise? I don't understand why it growls or bucks when it seems like the clutch is releasing fine? The clutch could be pressed in (or released)and I'm in neutral and I still hear this noise (like I said rarely)

Last edited by Bratvold; 07-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

With what you said, everything sounds about right to me. Go ahead and change the tranny fluid so that you eliminate that as a problem. And make sure you get some GM Synchromesh when you change it. Next bleed the system again until nothing but clean fluid comes out. Other than that i'm not really sure. Is your clutch line wrapped with some sort of heat protectant? Than also might help.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of fluid do you have in it right now, and how many miles are on it since the rebuild? Usually one of two things will cause a transmission to grind going into gear. 1. The clutch isn't releasing fully or 2. Because the blockers are worn.

If you're clutch still engages up top when its completely warm and the shifts grind, you can pretty much rule that out as your problem. You'd also probably be having difficulty getting the car into gear from neutral when sitting still if the clutch wasn't releasing fully, and it would engage close to the floor. Strange things can happen to a clutch/hydrolics at high rpms, but you shouldn't be having problems at a low rpm.

It wouldn't hurt to change the fluid out. During the summer Syncromesh should do fine, but in cold weather it tends to make shifting difficult until things are warmed up a bit.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you.....your experienced advice makes me feel better.....and I agree with you totally. I don't see how it could be anything as severe as worn transmission parts.

I have Mobil 1 ATF in tranny.....Prestone Synthetic in system (brand new). Have almost 20K over 2 years.

I really think I just over heated the line.....stupid headers.

Besides wrapping anything else you can think of? Any advice on the wrap?

I'm going to wrap it in 3/8 gas line wrapped in DEI tape.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bratvold
Thank you.....your experienced advice makes me feel better.....and I agree with you totally. I don't see how it could be anything as severe as worn transmission parts.

I have Mobil 1 ATF in tranny.....Prestone Synthetic in system (brand new). Have almost 20K over 2 years.

I really think I just over heated the line.....stupid headers.

Besides wrapping anything else you can think of? Any advice on the wrap?

I'm going to wrap it in 3/8 gas line wrapped in DEI tape.

I've wrapped the hyrdolic line all kinds of ways...pretty much whatever the customer brought us. I've wrapped them in insulated tape from a hardware store, plug wire heat sleeves, hose, etc.

Give it a shot and change the fluid out too, it deffinately isn't going to hurt.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid.....can it be a cause of this problem?