Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Rebuild Yourself?

I'm thinking about tackling the project of rebuilding my T56 myself, what's your guy's opinions?

It seems like the main tool I would need would be to buy a press to push on/off bearings and gears?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

I rebuilt my tranny myself it wasn't too bad although I had to extend a puller to get the one gear off so I could upgrade with carbon fiber blocker rings. I didn't have any real damage either just replaced the 34 fork and the pads.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

does anybody recommend a gear puller (from where?) instead of me trying to buy a big press?

shipping is killing me on the costs for these presses.

But $954 JUST IN PARTS in crazy
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
does anybody recommend a gear puller (from where?) instead of me trying to buy a big press?

you're nearing professional rebuild territory there.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

thats the thing, i'm NOT beating on the car

I had my T56 in my WS6 Viperized over the winter, this trans doesn't need that kind of upgrade...but it seems to be the same package
Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt

Most local shops will press off/on bearings for a few $. Unless you're doing it ALOT, there's no need for your own press..

I assume the $954 is for the T56 parts, not the bearing press parts.. That's about inline for a full rebuild, but the bearings play a big part. Unless your's are damaged, it's usually not recommended/needed to replace them. That will also save you some $ and not have to deal with the press...

Just grab a decent 3-arm puller, and make some extensions from some bar-stock steel.

mike
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Rebuilding a T-56 is a lot more involved than just slinging parts off of it, and throwing them back together again the way they came off. There's a lot of little tricks here and there to know, and need to be using a dial indicator with magnetic base to make sure everything is preloaded properly. It's more to it than some think.

That being said if you've done any type of transmission work before (internal), it's probably something you can handle. If you haven't and still want to attempt it, make sure to have a service manual right next to you the entire time. And yes, the 5/6th cluster is a BITCH to get off sometimes and usually requires a special puller. We made one ourselves out of Home Depot parts that works great.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

^^ agreed

i've never done it by myself, but I helped over the winter when we put all Viper parts in my WS6. I just wanted to tackle this myself, since I figured if I'm going to start racing my WS6 like I plan to...I'll be opening it up pretty often! lol

But the main reason for my damage, (if any) is from my clutch not disengaging fully, which might have pre-worn the syncros

would replacing them with the stock syncros be fine? since I really don't be on the car, and these things are pretty tough anyway? Anything else while I'm in there? How much cheaper would that be for the stock replacements?

It's in my Procharged Goat just a cruiser
Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

would replacing them with the stock syncros be fine? since I really don't be on the car, and these things are pretty tough anyway? Anything else while I'm in there? How much cheaper would that be for the stock replacements?
If you're going to tear down a T-56, spend the extra couple of bucks and do it right.

Basic upgrades from what you're looking for should be but not limited to:
-Billet Keys for 1-2 & 3-4 (this isn't a must, but a nice security to have)
-Steel 3/4 Fork with the BRONZE pads
-Master Rebuild kit (includes CF syncro's)

That should be enough to make it plenty solid for a 500-600 rwhp Cruiser.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

^^ thats basically the standard upgrade/rebuild kit, correct? PM me the cost for the parts.