Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

suggestion for those replacing master, learn from my mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestion for those replacing master, learn from my mistake

When you replace your master you will likely keep the stock line that connects the master cylinder and slave. MAKE SURE you don't forget to use the grommit/gasket that fits on the end of the line that inserts in the master cylinder. If you do, LEAK CITY.

Very frusterating to do all the work to get the master and U bolt through the fire wall, only to find out you get to do it all over again. And btw, it makes it super hard to bleed the clutch . That is how i figured out there was a leak, because the fluid never made it to the slave
Old 08-02-2008, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take that one step further. I took apart the line and the grommet was on the very end. I tried inserting the line and it would not go on. So I thought maybe that grommet/rubber washer belonged one rib up. Did that , tried to bench bleed and leak city like you. Got on install university and realized you should put that rubber grommet into the master first THEN insert the line. And by the way, if you lose that grommet and have a spare/old/bad slave, you can remove the disconnect (use a punch, identical to removing the master) and the end has the exact same grommet.