Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Textralia OZ700-HD

Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Textralia OZ700-HD

Initial Disclaimer:

I have no commercial affiliation with Textralia and I am not on their payroll. I simply bought an OZ700 Z grip with a Steel flywheel for my tt setup. Here’s a quote from my other post explaining the details of my setup as well as my experiences with the OZ700 clutch.

Originally Posted by paco loco
First, the application.

2005 Pontiac GTO QSM with roughly 50k miles on the clock

Power Mods:
APS twin turbo kit
APS twin pump kit
63lb Siemens injectors
Victor Jr. Intake w/ Nitrous Dave’s Elbow
Ported TB
Stg 3 ported 243 heads by bob at precision porting in FL
Speed Inc. FI cam
UD pulley

Support Mods:
BMR stubs
Diff tech half shafts
DSS Driveshaft
Kaaz posi
RPM stage V M6 w/Viper gearing and reworked input shaft
Remote bleeder
Clutch hardlines

Graphs:
HP vs TQ

Boost vs A/F

Background info:
At the end of last season I has having problems shifting at the track. The car would hold off of the line, but it would not shift quickly into the next gear. This baffled me because the car acted perfect on the street. I tried several things suggested on forums as well as talked to other people having the same problems: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232087

After thinking about it and talking to RPM I believed a 100% it was the transmission finally calling it quits. So I placed an order with RPM for one of their transmissions. I went to my tuner and borrowed their lift. With the help of some buddies we had the transmission out in no time. I started to prep the new transmission by swapping over sensors and plugs. My buddy started to take the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel off so we could replace the pilot bearing as recommended by RPM. As soon as the pressure plate came off he was shocked with what he saw. The text OZ700 Z grip was the one really calling it quits. I put 10k hard, hard miles on that clutch.
I sent Jarrod (US Textralia Rep) an email explaining my situation. I asked him to set me up for a rebuild. My thinking was that after I got the clutch back I would post it for sale and move on. He let me know about some clutches in development that were suppose to hold more power than the regular OZ700. I told him that if there’s a possibility I would love to be a tester. Jarrod replied giving me the option to be a tester or send me a rebuilt clutch like I asked. I opted to be a tester.

The new clutch is an OZ700 with a Heavy Duty 6 puck clutch, single disk.

Originally Posted by paco loco
New prototype clutch:

I installed the clutch on jack stands using the same pilot bear and slave cylinder [from my previous clutch failure, total of 1100miles on them]. I installed it and bled it the same way I did my other clutches. About 500 miles and a week later I had a track day. Air temp was 95 degrees, I shot the ground with my heat gun and it read 129 degrees. No new times were going to be set today, but I did get to beat on the car. This clutch held everything I threw at it and then some.
My thoughts on the new OZ700-HD Clutch:

The car drives and feels like my regular OZ700 did. A little harder than an LS7 clutch but nothing to tire your leg out. It behaves well in traffic and is easy to drive. I have no chatter or harsh engagement or disengagement. I want to get more track time as I have only been able to do one track day, but it was a very, very rough environment for the car’s setup. Which leads me to believe that it can handle power. I guess the only question is, is for how long? I’m not sure, but people can’t expect a clutch in a 2 ton 700hp car with several track days to last 50,000 miles. Well at least I don’t.

I’m trying to get some pictures loaded, but putfile is being very difficult. I’ll keep trying but the pictures don’t tell the whole story anyways.

Btw, Jarrod told me I could say that they are also working on another clutch that should be able to support around 900hp. I have no information on this clutch, so please do not ask me.

I will try and answer questions as they are asked. If I do not know the answer or need confirmation from Jarrod, I will have to ask him. Remember, I’m not a Textralia Rep, just a customer. He might pop in to answer them himself, but remember he’s busy and may not be able to answer them as fast as everyone would like. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

Paco Loco, thanks for the post on the new unit. I'd like to take this opportunity to go over a few questions which came up, in the thread and provide whatever help I can.

We have the current OZ-700 many of y'all are familiar with this unit.

We have a HD version of the Oz-700 which is the subject of this post. It has about 12% more clamp than the current Oz700 and about 10% more pedal effort than the current Oz700.

In addition we have some even higher clamping force units that are in the R&D stages which may be the topic of further discussion soon.

In addition to that we are in the process final testing with a revised Exo-skel which we hope to have available very soon.

As always, If anyone needs any technical assistance on anyhting related to Textralia products please feel free to drop a line to us at Textralia directly.

admin@textralia.com.au

For sales you can contact one of the support vendors over on the left side of the page to help you out with a product purchase.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the writeup! Good info there.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revised Exo-Skel? What revisions?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Revised Exo-Skel? What revisions?
x2, i'm about to need one.....maybe even a triple disc...
Old 09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

So as far as clamp and pedal effort, it would go:

X-grip < Z-Grip < New HD

Correct?

What are your torque and hp ratings on these different versions of the OZ700? I've been interested in getting one for quite awhile and I'll be watching this thread closely.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by matts22

X-grip < Z-Grip < New HD

Correct?

What are your torque and hp ratings on these different versions of the OZ700? I've been interested in getting one for quite awhile and I'll be watching this thread closely.

not 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure my Z-grip is rate to around 700hp/ft.lbs....i could by wrong...but if you browse around the site, there are a lot of people making 600+rwhp with a OZ700.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by matts22

X-grip < Z-Grip < New HD

Correct?

I'm pretty sure that the clamping force and pedal effort on the X and Z grip are the same due to the same PP. The only difference in these two is the clutch disc. X is organic and Z is ceramic, therefore, the X grip allows you to slip it a little more for street driving.

Search this Thread