Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEASER THREAD: Tick Performance's Revolutionary NEW Adjustable Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up TEASER THREAD: Tick Performance's Revolutionary NEW Adjustable Master Cylinder

Since their creation, the clutch hydraulic system has plagued these LSx F-Bodies and Corvettes. Shifting quickly at high RPM is extremely hard (in some cases even impossible) especially when using a beefy aftermarket clutch. For years the industry has been using band-aids to ease these problems, but nobody has actually FIXED these problems.

VERY soon, Tick Performance will be changing that.

By combining our expertise with expert tuner and mechanical engineer Alvin Anderson (of PCMForLess) as well as employing a few concepts used by multiple NASCAR teams here in the Mooresville area, Tick Performance has developed an adjustable master cylinder that will effectively and reliably solve all of the problems that have plagued these cars in the past.

This C5 FRC is using a Textralia OZ700 clutch and just absolutely would not shift above ~5000RPM. We've got a few customers experiencing similar problems with the same clutch, and although Textralia does not recommend an adjustable master cylinder, that is the only way feasible to keep the clutch from dragging on the flywheel and preventing the high-RPM shifts.

The Ram stock master cylinder that has been made adjustable will not fix the problem because it does not flow a sufficient amount of fluid.

The McLeod adjustable master cylinder, although it flowed more fluid and did the job, suffered from terrible leaking problems and reliability issues, and has been on backorder for nearly a year.

The Tick Performance Adjustable Master Cylinder successfully flows more fluid and is even more reliable than the stock master cylinder. On top of that - it is easy to install and will be by FAR the easiest to adjust.

Before this FRC wouldn't shift at all at high RPM. After the Tick Performance Adjustable Master Cylinder was installed, wide open throttle powershifts are an absolute piece of cake. Check out these videos shifting at 6500-6700RPM and watch Jonathan@Tick's right foot stay planted to the floorboard:

This Textralia clutch is working like a charm and now the FRC can be shifted at any RPM with ease. This is by far the quickest and easiest shifting Corvette I've ever driven or ridden in.

We are going to keep the pricing on these kits similar to the currently unavailable McLeod adjustable master cylinders. Production kits for C5 Corvettes will be available early next week and production kits for the LSx F-Bodies will be available within a month.

I just created this thread to give you guys a heads up and let you know that we're working every day to solve the age-old issues that these cars still face daily!

Last edited by Joey@Tick; 08-13-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet! Looking forward to the F-body version of this!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really needing one of these for my car since im replacing the clutch, flywheel, master and slave in the next few weeks. can you pm me a estimate on the price?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pics of the unit?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Now if there was someway to redesign the slave so it could be cooled somehow to prevent bind within the housing...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Don't have any exact pricing or pictures yet folks, this is just a teaser thread to give you guys the heads up. I'll make the official thread when the final product is made official. For the C5 it'll be early next week, for the F-Body we're hoping to finalize the kit within the next month.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Color me interested...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After driving the prototype car I promise you my own Z06 in next inline.. This thing really cleans up shifting and clutch action/feel. My Z06 flat out will not shift after a hard launch unless I bleed the system every couple of passes. This setup will definately take care of that.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in if it works. I've trashed one trans already.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in!! I've honed and rebuilt the McLeod 3 times now in 6 years of owning it, getting old plus I fricking HATE pulling and installing the master solo.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in!!! I hate our hydraulics. Im using an adjustable stocker, and it always seemed ok. But I just installed an LS7 clutch, and Im not sure how its going to shift. I plan on running the LS7 for awhile, then moving up to the Tex. At that point I dont want to have any more clutch hydraulic issuses.

Im mostly interested in the "easier to install and adjust" part. Can you elaborate on how this will be easier to install than a stock piece?

J.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

def. have my attention.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

Im mostly interested in the "easier to install and adjust" part. Can you elaborate on how this will be easier to install than a stock piece?

J.
We're still working on the f-body prototype and it probably will not be easier to install. The C5 system is "easy" to install but it too is not easier to install than the factory components.

The C5 setup will bolt in rather than twisting into place. With the driverside wheel and lower section of the inner fender removed access on the vette is a piece of cake. Our cylinder will require drilling two holes in the actual structure of the clutch pedal assembly for mounting purposes however. The total install should still take less than 2 hours.

The line is replaced with a custom piece and the existing resevoir and hose is re-used. The unit is easier to adjust than some units simply because it doesn't require removing the retaining clip and heim joint everytime a change is made. We use a turnbuckle to make adjustments with a locknut on either side to keep things in place. Also, our heim joint is actually the correct thickness so the retaining clip will slide right back into place.

The cylinder itself is a slightly modified unit used in many racing applications already, we have simply adapted it to fit. With a proven cylinder, durability shouldn't be a concearn. A slightly larger bore allows for adjustability that a modified stocker just can't deliver.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Will the F-body require drilling the pedal as well? I'm just curious since there is little room to fit a drill and bit up in there...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

very interested keep me in the loop..
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested in the F-body version as I want to get a Textralia clutch soon.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Such a relief, do I have any gas left? hahaha!

Awesome job guys, can't wait to actually be able to give my car the hell it was built for! Next up is a healthy dose of TNT until it breaks and I have to build the motor.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Will the F-body require drilling the pedal as well? I'm just curious since there is little room to fit a drill and bit up in there...
No, there shouldn't be any drilling on the f-body. The vette uses a totally different setup where the cylinder actually twists into place on the pedal structure. The vettes clutch pedal assembly is separate from the brake and accelerator pedals and therefore can be bolted out fairly easy for drilling. On the f-body, the cylinder bolts to the firewall. The plans are for a custom adapter to be bolted between the cylinder and the firewall using the existing mounting holes.

The cylinder we're using has a short overall legnth while still providing an equal amount of stroke when compared to the factory unit. Hopefully it will provide us with enough room to fit in the f-bodies cramped compartment.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by blu1
Such a relief, do I have any gas left? hahaha!

Awesome job guys, can't wait to actually be able to give my car the hell it was built for! Next up is a healthy dose of TNT until it breaks and I have to build the motor.
Theres a little gas left in there.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

well shoot you got my attention....i have a ram adj master now...and its brand new...so if it craps out i KNOW where to go...and JOEY thanks again for my stage 2 build!!!

Quick Reply: TEASER THREAD: Tick Performance's Revolutionary NEW Adjustable Master Cylinder