Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission making noise after clutch install 04 GTO M6

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission making noise after clutch install 04 GTO M6

I had a OZ700 installed a while ago and ever since then the transmission makes a noise like someone is shaking a can of large rocks. It only does this until I press the clutch in and then the noise completely goes away.

Is added noise in the transmission typical of a "better" clutch or is there something I sould look at?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I have somewhat of the same problem. I just had the same clutch installed and once in a while while sitting at a stop light on a little slant there is a rattle/tapping noise were the clutch/bellhousing is or at around 2000-2400 rpm when accelerating or every now and then when decelerating in like 1st or 2nd gear. I looked underneith and i don't see anything that could be hitting the floorboard or tranny? Any help please!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Launching!

i had a ram clutch in my car then just did h/c and burnt up the clutch then put the next higher up ram in and now when i give it gas it can hear those noises coming from the trans like little pings or little rocks, before it was quiet and one know?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit guys, I've heard some bad things going around about the Tex clutches over on the Corvette Forum. There are many reasons that performance clutches can have noises; not broken in all the way, improper installation, and also manufacturing defects. Now, knowing that Text is suppose to make an excellent product, there should be no defects. But....you never know

Here's a few things that may help, though:

Turn the engine on and keep it running, place the tranny into neutral, if the noise occurs at this time, it is most likely a problem in the transmission, most commonly the front bearing supporting the input shaft.

If that is not it, place your foot on the clutch pedal and begin to depress the pedal. If you begin to hear the noise at this point, the problem is the clutch release bearing.

Push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. If you hear the noise while doing this, it's gonna be the pilot bearing or bushing. If you do not hear any noise during this test, the problem is not in the clutch system.

Hope this may answer a few questions. My best advice though, would be do some research on performance and aftermarket clutch noises.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Also guys, make sure there is no grease that could have gotten on the clutch disc because this could be causing part of your problems.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A slopped out throwout bearing makes that type of rattling noise, and the noise stops when you press in the clutch.

Did the shop install a new throwout bearing when they did your clutch job?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Now batman you said that after you did a burnout in your car that's when the clutch started acting funny? Just a little odd because a lot of guys who are have chatter with new clutches, once they get on it a little, usually helps with the chatter and subdues noises. Just a tid bit.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by crainholio
A slopped out throwout bearing makes that type of rattling noise, and the noise stops when you press in the clutch.

Did the shop install a new throwout bearing when they did your clutch job?
Nope.

Quick Reply: Transmission making noise after clutch install 04 GTO M6