Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Horror Story...watch what pilot bearing you put in

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horror Story...watch what pilot bearing you put in

So I was putting my trans on my motor with new pilot bearing, And as the kid who was helping me was tightening my trans onto my motor, i hear a SNAP and see my block break off on the left corner if your looking at it from the output shaft. It broke all the way down to the oil galley. The kid helping me felt like an *** and i told him it wasnt his fault, and there was nothing we could do now. So then i went and bought another motor, then put in another pilot bearing, blah blah blah and realized that my trans was not sitting flush against the block. I take it all back apart, clutch flywheel and all, swap a different one out, swap slaves out, everything....still the same thing. So then I look at another motor and see that i have the wrong pilot bearing. Advance and Autozone have a bearing that slides in the first I.D. of the crank, while the OE one goes in the 2nd I.D. of the crank, to let the trans sit all the way in. Long Story....somewhat shorter, Autozone and Advance do not always have the right parts. And dont let friends tighten your bell housing bolts.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Second Moderator

I have a 2005 CTSV (LS6) engine sitting on a stand that has the pilot bearing (large diameter) and two stock cranks that were from M6 LS1 Camaros and they have the smaller diameter roller pilot that is about 1/2 inch deeper in the crank, I'm thinking that was the trouble. That CTSV clutch assembly is enormous so it prolly has a deeper bellhousing that pushes the trans back that 1/2 inch or so.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

How far back should the pilot bearing sit from the block?

I just installed my new pilot bearing
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkman15
I have a 2005 CTSV (LS6) engine sitting on a stand that has the pilot bearing (large diameter) and two stock cranks that were from M6 LS1 Camaros and they have the smaller diameter roller pilot that is about 1/2 inch deeper in the crank, I'm thinking that was the trouble. That CTSV clutch assembly is enormous so it prolly has a deeper bellhousing that pushes the trans back that 1/2 inch or so.
The CTS-V bellhousing is actually 1/4" narrower than a f-body LS1 bell. The CTS-V T56 input shaft is 3/4" shorter than the f-body T56 input shaft, giving the 1/2" difference.

mike
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The CTS-V bellhousing is actually 1/4" narrower than a f-body LS1 bell. The CTS-V T56 input shaft is 3/4" shorter than the f-body T56 input shaft, giving the 1/2" difference.

mike
Thanks for the info Mike, I didnt have the bell or trans from the CTSV to compare the two.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Never use the bolts to pull the trans up. It should be able to touch the block before you even put the bolts in.
And even if you do decide to pull it up with the bolts don't use an amount of torque high enough to break the damn thing. If you need to turn it more than one foot pound, and it's not closing the gap you've got problems.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Never use the bolts to pull the trans up. It should be able to touch the block before you even put the bolts in.
And even if you do decide to pull it up with the bolts don't use an amount of torque high enough to break the damn thing. If you need to turn it more than one foot pound, and it's not closing the gap you've got problems.

+1 and make sure that the dowel alignment pins are lined up with their pilot holes. If not, you may see the same trouble as stated above.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
How far back should the pilot bearing sit from the block?

I just installed my new pilot bearing
anybody know?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
anybody know?

Don't have an actual measurement, but, here is a pic from my most recent clutch install that may help.
Attached Thumbnails Horror Story...watch what pilot bearing you put in-spec3-ring-049.jpg