Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 clutch intall ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 clutch intall ?

Tomorrow I am going to install my LS7 clutch in my camaro. My car has
only 39K miles on it. My clutch feels great but has slipped a few times at the track. Is it possible to ge the clutch swapped out without disconnecting the hydraulic line on the slave cylinder. I hear so many problems trying to get all the air out and I dont want to have a problem with that. Has anybody done it that way?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna say its not possible... The slave cylinder is bolted to the trans and slips over the input shaft.

I guess you could separate the trans just enough to sneak a wrench in there and remove the bolts...I think you are asking for more trouble than its worth to try a stunt like that though.

I guess you could unbolt the master cylinder, and try to get it to come out with the trans...but again...way too much trouble.

Bleeding the clutch isnt as bad as some make it out to be. If your hyrdaulics are truely in good shape you wont have an issue. The quick disconnect fitting wont allow air to enter and wont allow fluid to exit assuming its in good shape. Just a tiny bit gets in when you go to hook it back up I believe.

So once you hook it back up, just a few bleed cycles should be enough. But its also a good time to cycle all the dirty fluid out and get new fluid in there...

In case you arent sure...this is what you will be looking at when you get the trans out.

Then when it goes back in. I recommend a remote bleeder like in the picture. Makes a world of difference in bleeding. You never have to get under the car again to do it. If you are doing the clutch tomorrow, you'd probably have to put off finishing it for a few days til it shows up though.

Just my .02.

J.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Get a small cheap hand held vacuum pump from (sounds like) autophone and you can bleed the clutch from the master in no time, no mess, no problem....It is actually a GM TSB (tech service bulletin) now. Although I do like Ghettocruisers idea also, but I have never opened a bleeder on a T56 slave and have never had a problem either.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

it can be done without removing the line, and you can get to the bolts to remove easy but putting them back in may be a little challenging
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
it can be done without removing the line, and you can get to the bolts to remove easy but putting them back in may be a little challenging
Have a friend help. It will go easier with two people. I would still bleed the system either way you go.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

Ok thanks for the tips guys.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Wow Old clutch is out. It was pretty simple. Look like my rear main is seeping a tiny bit. I better swap that out while I am in there.