Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help, clutch slips after motor and tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help, clutch slips after motor and tranny install

i had to recently pul my motor bc of a spun rod bearing. i took it out the bottom, so the tranny went with it and also came out. ive got everything back together and now the clutch slips under a load (going up hills, passing ont he interstate, etc). i first thoguht it was a rear main leak and oil gettin on the cllutch severely, but after 250 miles of berak in, there are no leaks comming throgh the bellhousing. a rear main leak would have found its way throgh by now. not one drop of oil is under the car, and the clutch had plenty of life left on it. anyone have any idea what this may be?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can recommend is bleed again. You did tighten the pp down good? Did you notice any hot spots or get it oily from touching it. Figured that would have burnt off by now though.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

it doesnt need to be bled. the line was disconnected from the tranny but no air gets in, it seals right up once disconnected. the sihfts are perfectly fine and the clutch disengeages and slides the tranny into gear just fine. it just doesnt hold under a load and slips. there was oil on one spot of the clutch but it never slipped before, plus that was all cleaned up.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jc99ls1ss
All I can recommend is bleed again.
All I can ask is what role you believe the hydraulics play in creating clutch pressure.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

i understand this.....but everyone ive talked to and read about, when dropping the motor from the bottom hasnt had to bleed the system bc no air gets in it when doing this. i was just wanting to hear other opinions of what might be wrong with it. i dont have a mityvac to bleed it easily, but then again pulling the tranny isnt the easiest thing to do either just to inspect things.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i understand this.....but everyone ive talked to and read about, when dropping the motor from the bottom hasnt had to bleed the system bc no air gets in it when doing this.
My point was that the hydraulic system doesn't create clamping pressure at the clutch, it only releases the clutch.

If your clutch is slipping, it either isn't getting sufficient clamping pressure from the pressure plate diaphragm spring...or the disc has failed either due to wear or contamination.

Either way you'll be dropping the trans, so whip out your tools and get to it.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

somethin must have been isnalled wrong....my dad put the clutch on and might have done soemthing incorrectly. the clutch performed flawlessly when removed and had plenty of pad left on the disc. the only thingi can think of would be rear main leak, yet there are no signs of oil under the car! but youre right....regardless the tranny has to be taken out. maybe its a good thing my clutch is slipping during the break in miles for my motor, keeps me out of it! once the break inn is done with the motor ill take the tranny out and check things out. dont suppose its really hurting anything driving it liike this do you? it drives perfectly fine at half throttle
Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Your call as to whether you continue to drive it. I wouldn't.

Whatever caused the clutch to fail to its current condition is still present and will likely continue to progress.

My money is on either a rear main seal leak...doesn't take a lot of oil to kill a clutch disc...or improper torquing of the pressure plate.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

im 90% sure i can caancell out a rear main leak. theres 250 miles on the car, it started slipping around mile 50, and its dry underneath. ill have it torn apart this week and hopefully will find somethin.

Quick Reply: help, clutch slips after motor and tranny install