Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

the drill mod didnt fix it

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default the drill mod didnt fix it

I just did the drill mod a few days ago. When I did, I emptied the clutch reservoir & the fluid was black. So, I changed the fluid & did a good bleed. The clutch pedal was just about the same as before, a good solid feel to it. I went to the track to test it out today, it did it again. Sometimes it will shift ok, sometimes it wont shift at all. When it wouldnt shift, I noticed the pedal felt kinda limp. Not to the floor but just softer. Its possible I need to upgrade to the 01-02 hydraulics & or upgrade my clutch. Its one or the other for sure, so I might as well do both & be done with it. BTW, how often do you guys change your clutch fluid? A guy at the track with his 98 Trans Am says he changes his every week. That sounds a little too frequent.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles does you clutch have on it?
new hydraulics will help, if your clutch isn`t toast.
a bleeder line for the slave is a worthy investment, so is an aftermarket master.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shoemike
how many miles does you clutch have on it?
new hydraulics will help, if your clutch isn`t toast.
a bleeder line for the slave is a worthy investment, so is an aftermarket master.
That I dont know. I just bought the car & it had 111000 on it when I bought it. If I could get away with just putting a master on it that would be great. Is an aftermarket master actually better & are they all the adjustable type?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here man, did the drill mod, big pain in the rear, and it didn't fix my problem. Ive got 125,000 on the original clutch and hydroics, so probably just need to change all of it
Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

do the clutch master cylinder I did that and it solved my problem. I just went with the ram it works great
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yellabella
do the clutch master cylinder I did that and it solved my problem. I just went with the ram it works great
Yea, I just ordered a new master, not a RAM though. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It' s not the hydraulics ...... It's the pressure plate. I never bleed mine and went through the master/hydraulic release bearing/ bleed flog. Anything you do in that region is temorary at best. The guy that bleeds his every week.... I definetly would'nt listen to him.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-27-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It' s not the hydraulics ...... It's the pressure plate. I never bleed mine and went through the master/hydraulic release bearing/ bleed flog. Anything you do in that region is temorary at best. The guy that bleeds his every week.... I definetly would'nt listen to him.
I just got the master, but what you are saying makes more sense. I have been thinking about it. Someone most likely replaced the clutch. Maybe they machined the flywheel & didnt add the shim behind the slave, OR the pressure plate is weak. This is why I think its prolly the pressure plate. I let it sit for 3 days. The first day I drove the car, it shifted really easy like the pp got some rest. I dont even think I am gonna install this master.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

I dont know I had the same problem on hard acceleration it wouldnt go into gear by 2-3 shift or sometimes by 1-2 shift and the pedal was soft I did the drill mod and changed the master at the same time and it worked. I also have a cheap clutch setup so if it was that I would have known and I have about 450 rwhp I would change the master before pulling the tranny
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
wrencher

seen this one play out to many times. Stock clutch? It is the pressure plate.
They wont hold crap @ high RPM's.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem. Especially after the Textralia clutch was installed. Since then I've replaced the master and slave...did the drill mod. The pedal seemed easier for a couple of days, but now it acts up on start up and when it's cold outside.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by proelky
I have the same problem. Especially after the Textralia clutch was installed. Since then I've replaced the master and slave...did the drill mod. The pedal seemed easier for a couple of days, but now it acts up on start up and when it's cold outside.
Well mine doesnt act up when cold, only when hot. It never acts up on startup. It sounds like maybe yours has air in the hydraulics. I havent heard many bad things about Textralia clutches.