Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch problems

on the way to school, the pedal falls to the floor, i pulled it back up with my foot and some pressure came back, enough to keep it off the floor and in its normal position, but it feels alot weaker, alot less pressure to push it down and about the same pushing it back up off the floor, it doesnt stick, BUT i have to start it up in reverse and first otherwise its near impossible to get it in those gears without forceing it... anyone?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

ttt for tonight, could this possibly be my brand new slave failing? if so wouldnt there be a leak? (no loss of fluid from resovoir)
Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 AM
wrencher

Try bleeding it again? The master would be my first suspect if there is no air in there.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

/\ X2 I'd bleed and if no air present, you need a new master cylinder. New clutch, old master = dead master. You need to get the updated master anyways. Scoggin (a sponsor on here) has them, they are much cheaper than a dealer.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Launching!

when i replaced the clutch with the ls2/ls7 kit, i installed a new master & slave, is it possible for the new master to be out already? about to go bleed it now to see if i get any better pedal out of it.. dot4 is what i should use correcT? or should i stick with the dot3

thanks for the responses so far
Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Ok, so today i disconnected the quick disconnect to check if the master was the problem, and it wasn't, the pedal was stiff and didnt budge. so i reconnected it and bled the clutch to see if that was the problem (air in the master/slave or something) and had no effect... heres the symptoms : wont go into reverse unless the cars off, and have to force it into first, it feels like air in the system till about 1/4 of the way to the floor, and then you get some pressure pushing back, it doesn't stick to the floor or hang up anywhere... just really weak the first 3/4 then the last it feels almost normal.

any suggestions? is it possible my brand new 5,000 mile old slave is dead?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
wrencher

Did you try to bleed it again?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Launching!

i bled it for about 30 mins.. idk maybe im doing it horribly wrong? lol. i got the person helping me to push it to the floor after i crack the bleeder, then while they hold it to the floor i tighten the bleeder back up, its how i bled it the first time and ive been driving on it for past 4-5 months until it suddenly went out. is there a better way to bleed it? i'm kinda clueless on the mity-vac way
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

i mean is it possible for air to seep into the system while driving down the road? my resovoir was pretty much topped off, the top was on tight and i havent messed with any of the lines at all, and all of the sudden the pedal sticks to the floor (managed to get some pressure back into it after pumping a few times) and have a very weak pedal that barely dis-engages the clutch.

should i try pumping it like 25-30 times then crack bleeder, rinse and repeat etc. to see if i get pedal back before dropping the tranny again?

ALL new hydraulics only 5k miles old (all gm)

sorry if i sound like i havent searched much on the issue, but ive read the faq's and did numerous searches and have come up with nothing like my issue there...

Last edited by michaelxx16; 09-05-2008 at 11:08 PM.