Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bench bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Bench bleed?

Ill be finishing my trans swap as soon as my hydraulic line gets here. My question is, is bench bleeding the master cylinder necessary? I mounted mine already and didnt bleed it, is that going to cause problems? I should have thought of this earlier but didnt. Thanks guys
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bench bleed it. One thing though, how do you think you are going to hook the line up with the master cyl. installed? That will be next to impossible.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

my buddy is a reallllly little guy and he can get his hands down under the brake booster and around by the steering column so he can fully grasp the thing. If its too hard then we can just pull it back out, we had it mounted in about 5 minutes. Wasnt hard at all. Are there any write ups on how to bench bleed?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to pull the MC back out to install the line. You need to make sure that it is all the way in and then get the roll pin inserted. Hope you did the drill mod on the line. Check out the Install University site to see how it is done and how to also bench bleed the MC.

I installed a bleeder line, if you look at the thread I just started, and it was not necessary to bench bleed it with the setup I have.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I've got the master out of the car, I ALWAYS bench bleed it before putting it back in. It's soooooo much easier to get all the air out of the master that way, and if you do a good enough job on the bench you don't have to bleed the rest of the system once the master is reinstalled.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i forgot about the pin in there. Ill pull it back out, no big deal. But the whole reason i didnt bench bleed it before install is because i dont have the line yet. The dealers and everyone wouldnt sell me one without the MC and i have that already.. So i ordered a McLoed high flow line one on Tuesday and it should be here next week. Untill then i cant finish my swap which is aggravating but i guess its just more time to make sure everything is right.

Ill be sure to check out Install Univesity, didnt think of them.