Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Exo-Skel What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Textralia Exo-Skel What's it worth?

So how much would you guys pay for a used exo-skel with 10k miles on it? He said it started to slip after about 10k miles and a couple of runs with nitrous. Are the rebuildable? What does it take?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know how much id pay but i bought mine new for around 1300. & i believe its supposed to be rebuildable & if it is then get it. Ive had mine for about a year and ive never had any problems with it.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I have it on my Trans Am, I like it a lot, but I think I would buy the ls7 clutch next time. A lot cheaper. I have that clutch on my SS and love it too.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Launching!

I've heard the LS7 doesn't hold nitrous as well as the exo.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Launching!

I've been running the Exo for over 2yrs now and its great. It is rebuildable and you can get friction material to match your hp and tq requirements.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Launching!

So $31 was a good deal? Where do I get the friction material?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NJgunslinger
I have it on my Trans Am, I like it a lot, but I think I would buy the ls7 clutch next time. A lot cheaper. I have that clutch on my SS and love it too.
They're nothing alike... If an LS7 will hold the power, I wouldn't get an Exo-Skel either.

I run an Exo-Skel and just came out of a Spec 3+.

The Exo Skel feels lighter than stock to me...

For some people, an LS7 won't hold the power. If not, then we'd all be running it... OEM is always a safe bet for reliability.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
They're nothing alike... If an LS7 will hold the power, I wouldn't get an Exo-Skel either.

I run an Exo-Skel and just came out of a Spec 3+.

The Exo Skel feels lighter than stock to me...

For some people, an LS7 won't hold the power. If not, then we'd all be running it... OEM is always a safe bet for reliability.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Why wouldn't you run an exo? I've heard people have problems with the LS7 with spray. My OEM Z06 clutch slips.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm trying to say to the guy that is saying he will buy the LS7 next time...

That if he can run the LS7 and it will hold, he obviously doesn't need the grip of a twin disk in the first place... Twin disks are meant to grip ~800 rwhp and up depending on disc material.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

That if he can run the LS7 and it will hold, he obviously doesn't need the grip of a twin disk in the first place... Twin disks are meant to grip ~800 rwhp and up depending on disc material.
You shouldnt base a clutch's ability to hold on hp level and friction material alone. How much a LS7 will hold in a F-Body and what it will hold in a GTO is different. A vehicals weight,type of driving,engine torque ect........
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Ok I get it now. I thought you were saying to get it, and not to get it, in the same post. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Launching!

oh you guys all have 800 hp cars...my bad.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Launching!

With nitrous I'm on my way. I bought the clutch for $31. I wouldn't have payed $1300. It doesn't look like you have 800 HP. Why be a dink?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS2tiger
You shouldnt base a clutch's ability to hold on hp level and friction material alone. How much a LS7 will hold in a F-Body and what it will hold in a GTO is different. A vehicals weight,type of driving,engine torque ect........
Have you heard the phrase, "generally speaking"?

Besides, the person I was responding to has an F-body just like me, right?

The F-body Tex Exo Skel will hold a certain level of power, and the F-body LS7 will hold less... No need to invent unnecessary debates... If the LS7 could be holding the same power, then the Exo Skel was a big waste of money unless you're planning to go bigger later... All the factors you mentioned being equal is common sense.

Last edited by bboyferal; 09-01-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NJgunslinger
oh you guys all have 800 hp cars...my bad.
No, but not everyone puts a twin disk clutch on a 450 hp car either.

That's kind of what the LS7 is for...
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
Ok I get it now. I thought you were saying to get it, and not to get it, in the same post. Thanks for clarifying.
Cool... Yeah, I was saying that if you don't need that kind of holding power, there's no sense in spending $1,300.00 on a clutch. That's just stupid.

Now, if you need one, then the Exo-Skel is DEFINITELY the clutch to go with... MUCH less than a Spec Super-Twin, and very friendly with all the OEM hydraulics unlike the Mcleod twin.

I've run a Spec 3, a Spec 3+, and my current Exo-Skel in order of rising hp.

The Exo-Skel was expensive, but it's the most streetable of the three believe it or not... However, I still wouldn't be dumb enough to spend that kind of money on a clutch unless I was making the power to justify it... There are lots of great clutches for 500 hp power levels... My Spec 3+ had a heavy pedal, but it was a damn good clutch for 500 hp... LS7 is great too.

Now, in your case, you came across a great deal... Find out about rebuilding it and let us know! I would like to know too... I've had minefor about 4 months now, but I bought it brand new.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Launching!

^ I'll be sure to let you know. The guy I bought it off said it wasn't street friendly at all. Which isn't what I have heard from everyone else I've talked to. And he said it would hold nitrous. Also never heard that from anyone. I'm wondering if he did something wrong. I have heard pretty much nothing but good about the exo. I am looking to add a turbo on a bigger cube LSX at some point.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Teching In

In terms of mileage and longevity, how durable is the Exo-Skel? I don't really drag race, but aggressive street driving and occasional track and possible drift events are in the car's schedule.
This would be installed on a currently stock C5 Z06 awaiting headers and other bolt ons, probably due for a cam and heads within the next year or two... Not gonna make sick power but want the most response and lightweight clutch combo I can afford, and this is a bit cheaper than Exedy and I've heard less issues with Textralia. I'm not really concerned about "not having enough power to justify the clutch" because I'd rather not have to replace it within the next year or two seeing as I have to remove literally the entire rear undercarriage of my car, would rather have overkill than not, and like the idea of my parts being no-bullshit. I'd rather not install the LS7 clutch which as I understand is still a bit heavier than my stock LS6 unit, great for the money as it is... Hate to bump old threads but anybody got any input on this?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Teching In

no input?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool... Yeah, I was saying that if you don't need that kind of holding power, there's no sense in spending $1,300.00 on a clutch. That's just stupid.

Now, if you need one, then the Exo-Skel is DEFINITELY the clutch to go with... MUCH less than a Spec Super-Twin, and very friendly with all the OEM hydraulics unlike the Mcleod twin.

I've run a Spec 3, a Spec 3+, and my current Exo-Skel in order of rising hp.

The Exo-Skel was expensive, but it's the most streetable of the three believe it or not... However, I still wouldn't be dumb enough to spend that kind of money on a clutch unless I was making the power to justify it... There are lots of great clutches for 500 hp power levels... My Spec 3+ had a heavy pedal, but it was a damn good clutch for 500 hp... LS7 is great too.

Now, in your case, you came across a great deal... Find out about rebuilding it and let us know! I would like to know too... I've had minefor about 4 months now, but I bought it brand new.
bboyferal
how streetable would you compare it to stock? obviously its not going to be that streetable, but any comparison? also, what differential are you running in your rearend? (spool, locker...etc...)

i had a spool in my 9 inch and toasted my DFX in about 1500 miles.

Quick Reply: Textralia Exo-Skel What's it worth?