Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Guidance on spec3

Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Guidance on spec3

i took out an old spec 3 from my ta that i plan on putting in my camaro. It has about 10k miles on it. I took it off cause it was slipping due to a rear main seal leak that got fluid on the clutch disk. Well my ? is that i talked to spec and they said as long as theres no heat spots (which there isnt) on the surface of teh pressure plate that i can buy a clutch disk separate. Then i called back to order it and they didnt want to sell it to me. I want to get disk since its cheaper then getting the clutch all together. However i dont know if i should go that route or just replace the whole thing altogether.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a disc
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

they told me the design is different since i pulled that clutch out over a year ago and its been sitting in my room for some time. but they told me the new spec 3 clutch disk wont fit the pressure plate from a spec 3 from a year ago. but they told me i could get a spec 2 disk. however no one can give me a definite answer.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a textralia
Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
just get a textralia
Ive already got an Exo-skel in my TA
Old 08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

I am not sure who you spoke with here but the information they provided is correct. We have had some changes in disc thickness that occured in Frburary and as such people with older discs will be limited in terms of the discs that they can buy. Your disc (apparently purchased over a year ago) would have had a starting thickness of .340. New Stage 3 discs are .350. This is why the person you spoke with would have been hessitant to sell the disc to you. Of course, when you factor in plate and flywheel where the .350 disc should be ok for you anyway. Call me and I will help you get this sorted. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6']['9
i took out an old spec 3 from my ta that i plan on putting in my camaro. It has about 10k miles on it. I took it off cause it was slipping due to a rear main seal leak that got fluid on the clutch disk. Well my ? is that i talked to spec and they said as long as theres no heat spots (which there isnt) on the surface of teh pressure plate that i can buy a clutch disk separate. Then i called back to order it and they didnt want to sell it to me. I want to get disk since its cheaper then getting the clutch all together. However i dont know if i should go that route or just replace the whole thing altogether.

Thanks
Can you just replace the rear main seal and put the clutch back in? I think I have the same problem with the seal leak causing slippage, at least I hope (haven't tore it apart yet). Please let me know what you find.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitelq9ss
Can you just replace the rear main seal and put the clutch back in? I think I have the same problem with the seal leak causing slippage, at least I hope (haven't tore it apart yet). Please let me know what you find.
no cause the disk was pretty much gone by that time. if you get any kind of fluid on the disk its supposed to wear a lot faster than normal so that was the case cause the bell housing was all full of black fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Guidance on spec3