Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rebuilt T56 3rd gear whining...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt T56 3rd gear whining...HELP!

Ok, so like the title says, I just had the T56 in my 02 SS totally redone from the ground up....its a remanufactured unit straight from tremec so everything inside is brand new, and I added the stage 1 build kit from Amber at six speeds inc.

I matched all this to a brand new Tex OZ700 z grip and everything feels great except third gear....

Third gear and ONLY third gear gives me this high pitch whining noise...kinda like when you are driving one of those old hondas and they hum when you are backing up, lol

Any ideas??
Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Who did the rebuild when the stage1 kit was added?

Nothing comes to mind specifically related to 3rd gear and a whine, except if the 3rd-gear/cluster mesh is so far out of spec that you're getting gear-whine from it?

There's the needle bearings and bearing spacer under third, but I rarely see them fail unless installed improperly.

mike
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike,

The rebuild was done by a local shop here in oklahoma city, and they are very reputable from everyone that I have talked to...seems like every one of my friends with an f body has had at least one rebuilt there, lol, and they were the ones who installed all of the aftermarket parts for the stage 1 kit...

I am kinda stumped on this cause every time I do a search it seems to be people who have whine from 1st 2nd and 3rd...I realize the best thing to do would probably be to just take it back and have them check over everything one more time to make sure they got it right, but I just figured I would start here to see if anyone else had similar problems/solutions before I have them tear into the transmission again...

if anyone has any other ideas or knows of this happening to someone else please let me know!!

Quick Reply: Rebuilt T56 3rd gear whining...HELP!