Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

wow its just problem after problem after problem. now i have an oil leak that is bad enough to cause the damn clutch to slip. it caused my last clutch to burn up in no time at all. so i bought a new clutch and a rear main seal and put them in. broke everything in and it was fine for a while.(3k miles at the very most) now i have a spongy clutch so i get down under the car to bleed the clutch again and there is still oil on the bottom of the tranny and oil pan. its all down the side of the of the tranny and its fresh oil. i then checked the oil level and it was at least two quarts low. i just changed the rear main so i dont think it could be that. now my brand new damn clutch is slipping already.(the second one in less than 6-8 months)

any help would be awesome.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

anything?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

I have very good suggestion and that is that your rear main oil galley plug could be leaking. The plug is located directly behind the pilot bearing on the car. How did you get the pilot bearing out? It takes literally just the slightest hits to that plug to cause a leak. The good news is the plug is cheap (just above $5 at a dealership) and it's easy to fix once you get to it. The bad news is that you have to full drop the tranny and take the clutch assembly back out. Keep in mind that with your issue, it's either A) Rear Main Leak or B) Oil Galley Plug leak. Those are the only 2 oil leak locations that I am aware of that can cause oil to get to the clutch location. You can most likely get away with simply applying RTV around the plug however replacement is very easy. You simply take a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap sharply at top of the plug. Once you have knocked the plug's top end back a bit it is very easy to grab the bottom of the plug with a pair of pliers. Don't be scared to give it a good tap getting to that point, there is still around a 1/2 inch of crank area before you actually can knock it into the oil pan. I highly recommend that every clutch job consists of one step in which RTV is applied around that plug. It's just smart maintenance to prevent leaks and I have done more than a few clutches on these cars.

Here are 2 video clips to help you out. They are from an install video that I created on the Ls1 Clutch Install and will be featured on my new site:

www.ls1videohowto.com

This talks about the plug...
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=Clutch51.flv

This shows the finished rtv...
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=Clutch54.flv
Old 09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

When you say it is down the side of the trans, do you mean on the sides of the bell housing, or sides of the trans further back? You could have a leak from the Oil sender up top leaking down. Conn is correct though, that plug does leak.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

yeah it is coming from about halfway down the crack of the bellhousing and motor so i dont think that it is the oil sending unit i dont know.

thank you very much for that connexion. it will be very helpful. i was actually gonna replace the oil sending unit as well just in case while i had everything right there.

i did replace the pilot bearing and to do so i could not get the old one out with grease and a stick. i had to get in there with a screwdriver and hammer to basically beat the hell out of it until it came out. so that is probably exactly what it is thank you very much.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

ive now been told that when you pull the rear main you may as well replace it could that be a cause
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Are you sure its oil and not clutch fluid.....My problem was identical to yours....My 2000 Z28 didnt have the updated hyd (slave, Master) and were leaking and ruining my clutch with the same symptoms u have...wasted a perfectly good Spec S3....
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Default yeah

Originally Posted by Jayh
Are you sure its oil and not clutch fluid.....My problem was identical to yours....My 2000 Z28 didnt have the updated hyd (slave, Master) and were leaking and ruining my clutch with the same symptoms u have...wasted a perfectly good Spec S3....
i am positive. i have gotten down there and ran my finger through it and it is completely black like oil and smelled like it. i also looked into the reservior at the color of the fluid and its clear. so it cant be clutch fluid. well at least i dont think it can be.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

well i found it. and that is exactly what it is man. good call!!!!! i got it all of and everything and look down into the hole..... yeah the plug that you speak of is just chillin there completely sideways.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

That's awesome bro...glad I could help you and I certainly appreciate the follow up...

Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

not a prob bro... um i tried for a whle to get my pilot bearing out and i cant. so ill deal with it tommorrow. ill just do it like i did the old one the last time and just beat it with a chizel until it disentagrates. only difference is ill change that oil galley plug out this time. lol.
so i went to jeff gordon chevy to get the oil galley plug and they gave me the wrong thing. it had threads on it and all. i was pissed cause i wanted to get it done this weekend. i now am wondering if i can get the old plug out and match it to a freeze plug and just use the freeze plug. would it work.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

matched up a freeze lug to go in there and it worked like a champ i got it all put back together today. and im so glad to be done with that project its rediculous.

ill let you know how it holds up.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Just yanked mine down same problem,I thought it was a bad clutch,so i'm putting my ls7 clutch in now,my other stuff is oil soaked.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

yep. i have never heard of such design on the back of the crank. strange but i put the freeze plug in with a little rtv and it seems to be holding up pretty good. unfortanately i did something to the tranny trying to race with a crappy master cylinder.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info in this thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea, never heard of the RTV in there..definately something to do when I install mine.

I have an Aftermarket Eagle Forged Crank, are they pretty much the same way?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

part #'s for rear main and galley plug?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know this post is a little old.. but i am having similar problems with oil contamination on my clutch.. after a new rear main seal and oil pan its still leaking!! did this fix solve your problems?? does the lt1 also have this galley plug??

Quick Reply: oil leak