Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pedal sticking to floor after replacing master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal sticking to floor after replacing master cylinder

Ok here's the deal, I bought a 1999 Trans Am on monday, the car wouldn't go into gear when the car was running but does when it's off, the clutch pedal felt real weak so I figured ok there's either air in the line or the master cylinder needs to be replaced, no biggy. I found a receipt in the car showing the following were replaced by a shop in July 07':
-Installed Rebuilt Transmission Assembly
-Installed Complete Clutch Assembly and Flywheel
-Installed New slave cylinder

So, we bleed the clutch the old pump method, crack the valve, push pedal to floor, close the valve, pump it up, and repeat, all the while making sure there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Well that didn't do anything for pedal pressure and car still won't go in gear when running.

So today, we replaced the master cylinder with the one I pulled out of my 2001 Trans Am, the master worked fine when I pulled it out 8 months ago and the only reason it was pulled out was because I put in a new RAM Powergrip HD clutch and I went ahead and put in a RAM adjustable master cylinder. We put it in, and bleed the clutch for about 30-45 minutes using the above method.

What is happening now:
PEDAL SITS ON THE FLOOR! It won't get any pressure at all now, it just sits on the floor as I pump it and I keep having to pull it up, the only thing giving it any pressure is the spring part of the pedal.

What's the deal here? I don't understand... it seems like the master isn't working but the thing worked great 8 months ago when I pulled it out!

Any thoughts? I want to get this thing running...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply put, it needs to be bled, look into getting a miti-vac; they can be had at your local auto store.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned Village Idiot

mine did that while we were bleding it... you need to bled it more... how many open and close bleds did you do... you can also try that miti-vac like greysteel M6 said works great... if they replaced the slave and clutch then it should just be a bleding problem!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much did you pay for the t/a
Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Originally Posted by slayerized6
how much did you pay for the t/a
lol yea i hope you didn't pay that much for it since you couldn't even test drive it!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

if bleeding doesnt do the trick, the only other thing i can think of in the whole hydrolic/trans system is the line to the slave cylinder. maybe something blocking the line?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Alright thanks guys, i'll try getting one of those mity-vac deals and see if it does it any better. I've never had a problem doing it the old method but we opened the valve atleast 30-40 times. I ran damn near a full bottle of fluid through it. Comes out clean. But yea, if this doesn't work i'll try another braided line from the master to the slave.

I paid 6k for the car, runs great, looks awesome. Has shaved door handles and key holes with door poppers, raptor hood, c5 z06 replica wheels, new tires, true ram air intake, and full adjustable suspension. Very good deal.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Well I picked up a mityvac and bled it till no more air came out. Lots of air did come out and we got some pedal back but after you pump on it for a bit(when the lid is on the reservoir etc) the pedal eventually gets sloppy(has pressure but just feels soft). It still will not go in gear. It's like its hitting a wall and not allowing it to go in gear. However, if you press somewhat hard on the shifter to 1st gear when the clutch is depressed and then push it against reverse you can hear the slack in the driveshaft go the other way, likewise if you push it back on 1st gear again. I think it's the slave cylinder...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To know for sure before you take it out, disconnect the hydraulic line from the slave. If the pedal depresses somewhat it's the master. If it's rock solid and doesn't want to budge then it's the slave that is the problem.

Also note with a mityvac, you won't get all the air bubbles on the first shot. It took me several attempts with the mity to get all the air out of my system, I cycled the car, pumped the pedal and took it out for drives until my last attempt at the mity got no air out. The system is not perfectly shaped to allow trapped air to easily make its way from the slave to the reservoir.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Ok, i'll try that. I really don't think it's the master since it worked great when I pulled it from my car. I'll try to mity-vac it again but I can't drive the car right now since it won't go in gear. If the slave is bad, won't it just continue to suck air into the system? Which would cause me to keep having air come out when I mity-vac it?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Ok guys, we pulled the tranny and replaced the slave cylinder. Still nothing. The pedal doesn't feel great but I think it's because i'm used to my RAM Powergrip HD and this car has a stock clutch in it. But it still feels like hitting a wall with the shifter. Any ideas? Clutch looks ok... it has a year old rebuilt tranny in it and a year old clutch...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Did you bench bleed the master bafore putting it in the car???
Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
Did you bench bleed the master bafore putting it in the car???
Exactly what I was going to respond with.. If its been out of your other TA for 8months a couple things come to mind. Was it dry? Or do you leave the master fully filled with fluid while it was out? If it was dry, the seals might be dried up...but more likely, there is air trapped in funny places. Bench bleed the master, or in your case since its installed, you can do it but you'll need help.

Ive had VERY good luck with a Motive Power Bleeder. I use it for both my brakes and my clutch, and it doesnt get much simpler. Really seems to do a thorough job. Completely bleeds my entire brake system in about a half hour. With it completely dry except for the master cylinder. Its alittle pricey I guess, but not too bad. And its paid for itself tenfold by now.

Good luck man! I hate our clutch hydraulic system. Nothing has given me as much trouble.

J.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Ok, bought a NEW master cylinder, bench bled the crap out of it. NO bubbles in it or it's lines. Installed it, hooked up the mityvac to make sure it didn't form any durring the install, none. Well the problem still persists, I can put it in gear and start it with the clutch pushed in and it starts driving. If I step on the brakes the car continues to run and you can't get it out of gear. It seems to me like I need to replace the clutch.... What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Is the clutch disc stuck to the flywheel? Sounds like a problem I had once before. Did you actually take the pressure plate off and visually inspect the clutch disc and flywheel? It may be time for a new clutch. I ended up changing a master and slave before we relized that the clutch disc had welded itself to the flywheel.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myfast70
Is the clutch disc stuck to the flywheel? Sounds like a problem I had once before. Did you actually take the pressure plate off and visually inspect the clutch disc and flywheel? It may be time for a new clutch. I ended up changing a master and slave before we relized that the clutch disc had welded itself to the flywheel.
myfast70 is right Clutch disk is most likely in backwards.

Quick Reply: Pedal sticking to floor after replacing master cylinder