Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Big Block Chevy W/LT1 T56????

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Block Chevy W/LT1 T56????

Well I'm thinking about doing a big block 6 speed in my '78 malibu but I have a few questions.

First off I need a flywheel and don't know where to start.

Then I'll need a clutch

Then hydrolics

If you can give me some info on where to start looking I'd rally appreciate it. I was thinking of going with a quartermaster clutch setup or some multi disk clutch since the car is going to be pro-touring/road race and the motor should easily be 750-800 hp at the crank. The car orginally came with a linkage style clutch, but hopefully swapping over to a hydrolic setup won't be too bad.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

The last BBC/T56 I did was years ago in a 1969 Camaro . We used a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the LT1 with flywheel from them as well . It was designed for use with a BBC and a Lt1 T56 trans . I am sure other companies make it as well if thats the route you want to go .

Personally , I think going with the LS1 style unit and clutch setup would be the way to go . You should be able to find a flywheel for this conversion as well .
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
The last BBC/T56 I did was years ago in a 1969 Camaro . We used a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the LT1 with flywheel from them as well . It was designed for use with a BBC and a Lt1 T56 trans . I am sure other companies make it as well if thats the route you want to go .

Personally , I think going with the LS1 style unit and clutch setup would be the way to go . You should be able to find a flywheel for this conversion as well .
Thanks alot for the info. Everything is stil up in the air on the car now, but I'm just tryin to gather some knowledge. I may end up going with an LS motor so I'll have to see what happens.

I'll look into the clutch though, and thanks again
Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Ok a little more on the LS1 setup....

Hows everything work? I know that the LT1s use a pul type clutch and the LS1s use a push type and have a slave cylinder down at the bottom. Would I still use the LT1 tranny and install an LS1 front input shaft and use an LS1 type clutch, slave, and flywheel?

Sorry just a little confused, but I like learning
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You basically need to decide on what linkage/clutch/bellhousing you want to use, then adapt the trans to fit. You have several options with the LT1-T56, the LS1-T56, and the LT1-LS1-hybrid, all dependent on your clutch and bell.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 AM
TECH Addict

Ok not really sure whats involved in the hybrid tranny. I know I have a bunch of different options, but I don't know what will be the best to go with. I know there are alot more choices for LS clutches. I plan on using a hydrolic clutch setup either way though.

Right now I'm looking for a 6.0 motor and 6 speed tranny and they seem to be going anywhere from $600 for just the motor to $6000 for a GTO motor and tranny, but I'm just looking for now. I'm not planning on deciding on a motor for probably a year LOL
Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're adapting an older (BBC/SBC) T5/Muncie/Saginaw manual clutch/bell/linkage to the T56, you need an adaptor plate, which requires a longer input shaft. The least expensive way is what I called a "hybrid", by swapping in an LS1 input shaft to a LT1 T56 (everything else remains from the LT1) You can do the same thing to an LS1, but they are usually more expensive to start with.

It sounds like you're moving away from the BBC idea, so a LSx motor swap will have all the options of LSx clutches/SFI-bells/hyd and you just need an LSx T56.

And my $0.02, unless you buy a new T56 from one of our great sponsors, take the time before install and go through your used unit, and throw in the upgrade goodies at the same time. It will save you tons of grief later...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

HAHA I know man, thats what I should have done with my T56 that I swapped into my camaro. Guess you can't take anyones word anymore, I was assured that it only had 10k miles since being rebuilt, but I'm pretty sure its never been touched, but its cool its still working and holding up good. I'll probably pull it this winter and look it over though.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go BB just for the simple fact that if I don't I'll regret it. And once its done it won't be anything to pull it apart and do a motor swap down the road if the mood strikes me. And its getting harder to find good big blocks and the LS motors are getting easier and easier to find

Quick Reply: Big Block Chevy W/LT1 T56????