Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd Gear trouble

Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear trouble

Car was popping out of 3rd time to time usually on deceleration, shake and sort of fell out, not pop if i didn't have my hand on it.

Well at the track i missed 3rd gear shift now when i go into 3rd and release the clutch it shakes and pops out right away. I have a hurst shifter and a few people said it could be out of adjustment. Does that seem to be the problem?

And how would i go about trying to adjust the shifter?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

3rd gear aluminum shift fork common problem in these cars need to upgrade to the steel fork an u should be good to go,Get in touch with Tick Performance they r a sponsor here and they just did their stage 3 package on my tranny real cool guys.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this has happened to me but mine werent poppin out i couldnt even get it into gear. 1 trans it did it to 3rd and the next trans was 5th and 6th ...i thought i got a deals on a trans and it was broke when i out it in lol
Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the stop on the shifter is keeping from going fully into gear, it could cause this. You'd probably be experiencing problems with 1st, and 5th also however if it were the stop. If you pull the console up, you'll see a bolt which acts as a stop for 1,3,and 5 gears, and another on the backside for 2,4, and 6th gear. Just push the shifter forward in 3rd gear and make sure the shifter isn't hitting the stop. There should be a slight gap between them.

It could be a bent fork, or worn out/broken fork pads. It could also be the engagement teeth on the gear itself or the syncro assembly have become worn to the point that it will just not stay in gear.

Search this Thread