Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where the heck is my cluch fluid going?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where the heck is my cluch fluid going?!?!?!?!

Hey all.

Quick run down of what I have and what the problem is.

I have a 99 LS1, with a built T56. About 200 miles ago, it got a new LS7 kit, new "autozone" slave cylinder (i know), and I reused my RAM master cylinder. The RAM doesnt have more than 3000 miles on it.

Ok...the issue. I just got the car together. I was driving it around fine. On Saturday when I went to drive the car in the morning, the pedal was all retarded. Dead for the first half of travel, and hard as heck for the second half. I was able to get going...and after a minute it was back to normal.

Monday (today), I get in...same thing. Only this time, it wont let me in gear. So I pump the pedal a bunch, finally it lets me in. I start heading to work, and after a bit, it starts to feel great again.

Get to work...clutch reservoir is almost completely empty. Just a tiny bit in the bottom. So at lunch I head for ACE hardware...closest place with fluid. It actually drove smoother than it ever has. haha. Shifts were really slick consider the pedal felt like crap.

Bleed the clutch in the parking lot of ACE, push some new fluid in. Head back to work...feels fine. Take the car back home, and by the time Im home, the fluid level is visibly down again.

So...to recap, thats a whole reservoir of fluid in a week or about 170-200 miles. Today I look for leaks. NOTHING. Cant find any moisture anywhere. Ran my hand all around the master on the inside, outside the car, down the lines, all under the motor and trans, around the fittings...nothing. Couldnt find any source of leaking. I even pushed some paper towel up into that little slot between the bell housing and block. Dry. Where in the heck is the fluid going????? Im about to just pull the trans and drop a new GM slave cylinder in, and get a new master while Im at it.

Some things to note... Shifting has been notchy even after bleeding. FIgured it was the clutch breaking in. Also my clutch line is INSIDE the car. So its not a line insulation issue.

Any ideas or suggestions before I just start pulling and replacing???

Justin
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the boot on the backside of the master?
(The part where the rod that connects to the pedal underdash)
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup. My first thought was the master was leaking somewhere. So I felt around, checked the carpet, and even watched it while I pumped it. Seems dry as a bone. Im going to check it out again this week. I was hoping Ide see a big wet spot somewhere so I could pinpoint the issue. But no such luck. I really think if it was the slave leaking, Ide see a wet spot under the trans. Atleast that'd be my understanding for losing a whole reservoir of fulid in a week.

J.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the hose from the reservoir to the master as well ?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems fine. I can run my fingers all the way down the length of it, and its dry as a bone. I have clamps on that hose as well..not just stuck on like factory.

Im thinking its gotta be within the pressure area of the system. But I honestly believe its whats causing my notchy shifting. I think when the system is reaching its highest pressure (pedal to the floor) its reaching a leak piont and bleeding off just enough pressure to not leak. So a little squirt of fluid each time I hit the pedal.

Now...I have a slightly new theory about where the fluid might be. If its just releasing fluid in tiny spurts over a week, maybe its dripping down and getting soaked in all the clutch dust inside the trans/bellhousing. There was a good bit of dust in there, as well as all of the areas where the fluid could sit. It could be running down, getting soaked in the dust, and not making it to a drip point.

J.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I found the leak. It was VERY VERY sneaky. Ok...some very specific circumstances kept me from finding this thing...

Turns out the steel line was leaking at the quick disconnect fitting. There were drips. While moving, these little drips probably got blown away, and didnt leave much. But when sitting still, they dropped straight down to the O2 sensor wiring. It was hitting the wires right before the loom...then the fluid was running down INSIDE the loom. The split was facing up...therefore it just sat in the loom, undetected.

The only way I found the leak, was I pulled the fitting to replace the o-ring. When I was moving the line I noticed the fluid coming out. Had my dad hit the pedal and it sprayed.

Mystery solved. Now the fun part... Replacing the master. I guess its better than pulling the trans though.

J.

Quick Reply: Where the heck is my cluch fluid going?!?!?!?!