Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 hard to reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 hard to reverse

Ive got a T56 in my camaro, that we just switched out the ECU on. The ECU was from my T400 TA (was auto). Everythings great except reverse is really hard to get into. Is there something to do with reverse lockout in the tune?

Any other ideas what it could be? Fluid was fine, all the other gears are super smooth.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it hard to push up into the actual reverse gate? Or is it hard to get it OVER to the reverse gate.

If its hard to get OVER...then thats the reverse lock out solenoid. There is a way to make it work. You have to wire it just like it was from the factory in a T56 car. Need a schematic...but Im sure the info is on this site somewhere.

OR..you can just add a shift **** with a button and wire the lock out to the button...Thats what I did in my thirdgen. Just easier for me.

If its easy to push over but hard to get into the actual gear, then there are other issues....but I suspect you are talking about the lock out.

J.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah im pretty sure its just the lockout. All the gears go in fine, including reverse, its just hard getting it past the lockout.

The only thing that changed on the car was the ECU, not sure if that could be causing. It did get some hard miles shortly after. Maybe needs to be bled? The cluch feels a little soft... might not be fully dissengaging?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use that soleniod as a safety feature in my 83!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

have you tried putting it in first then reverse?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

His difficulty shifting into reverse is due to the lock out... shifting to first wont change a thing.

xxrillixx: Im not 100% familiar with the LT1 systems. But, I would imagine the PCM (ECU) controls the lock out just like the LS1 PCM does. I would track down the wiring diagrams for your camaro and just hook the solenoid up just like it shows.

Or just take the easy ways out. Either remove the lock out solenoid, or operate it via push button. You could also have the brake pedal switch operate it, so that its released whenever you are pressing the brake.

I dont recommend removing it. Its a nice safety feature. In stock form, the solenoid spends plenty of time in its released position allowing you to get into reverse. So hooking it up to the brake pedal switch wont hurt anything. Or just use a momentary switch on the shifter or something similar.

J.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

oh i see, i know in my old lt1z i had the same prob. shifting in 1st would help.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its actually ls1 (99 Z).

We found that there is something in the ECU that controls when it can be used. Above 8 mph it locks, below 6 it unlocks. The underlined numbers can be changed, but i dont think thats the problem. Unless somehow the ecu thought the car was above 8mph when at idle, but i dont think thats it.

Is there an on-off in the ECU too?

Quick Reply: T56 hard to reverse