Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ws6store short stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ws6store short stick

I have had the short stick on my car for about a month now, but there seems to be a slight "issue" with it, and only noticed it when I put that on there, and never noticed it the stock hurst shifter. Whenever I am trying to downshift, say going into 2nd at 50 mph, slowing for a turn, you can hear slight, quiet grinding. With no music on, you can hear it. I don't know if it my syncros, or from the shifter. Going into 1st at around 30mph is where you can really hear it, but if I wait till about 10-15 mph to put it into gear, it slides in a lot easier and will hardly grind. Is this directly related to my short stick, or is it coming from back syncros in the transmission? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your trans to me.
If your trying to hit those gears at that speed downshifting with the motor at or near idle I expect it to make noise.
Depends on how's it's geared (rear & tire size) but you need to rev match to get smooth down shifts @ higher speeds for a low gear.
A stock m-6 is doing 3600rpm in 1st @ 30mph, 4000rpm in 2nd @ 50 mph for example.
You try to shift those at those speeds at or near idle your giving the trans a workout.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

I'm pretty sure it's just that the stocker was better "noise sealed" lol.

I put a pro 5.0 shifter on a t56 a while back, with the short stick. You hear every noise the tranny makes. Nothing is wrong, you just don't have a big rubber bushing to cancel out any noise anymore. You're new shortstick doubles as a pitch fork for synchro grinding!

Enjoy!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

So no issues then? Wrencher, I am running 4.10s, but the grinding is making noises with my clutch completly depressed and going into gears. Not like it is shooting up revs, and rev matching, I mean having the cluch all the way pressed in, going into any gears except if I'm slowing down to a very low roll makes those noises. If z28 is right, then its cool and whatever. I'm just worried that I MIGHT be causing damage to my trans...right now as a broke college student, money for a new t-56 is pretty iffy.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
So no issues then? Wrencher, I am running 4.10s, but the grinding is making noises with my clutch completly depressed and going into gears. Not like it is shooting up revs, and rev matching, I mean having the cluch all the way pressed in, going into any gears except if I'm slowing down to a very low roll makes those noises. If z28 is right, then its cool and whatever. I'm just worried that I MIGHT be causing damage to my trans...right now as a broke college student, money for a new t-56 is pretty iffy.
Is it making a loud grinding noise that is followed up by a grinding fealing to your hand? Or a really quiet higher pitched "whining" gear noise that you can hardly feel if even that?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the same short stick. had it for about 3 years. i like it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
wrencher

OK in that cased the aftermarket shifters do make a lot more noise. They don't have all the dampening to keep the noise down like stated b-4.
I wasn't sure if you where trying to jamb gears here
It could potentially be a future problem, but it's real hard to detemain that not seeing it first hand.
But expect more noise with the new shifter, the farther from stock you get..... lol
Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Ok then, thanks. I have been adjusting my driving style so I wont hear or notice the grinding noise. z28, it is not a whinning noise, it is a slight grinding type noise. Not like gears grinding, hard to explain. I think it is just shifter noise. Thanks guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

If all you changed was the shifter stick, then it has nothing to do with it. When I changed the SHIFTER to a Pro 5.0, I could hear a bit more whine. I'v got the LSS too. Love it.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Back from almost death

Now then, new issue. When I get in it 1st gear, and I climb to redline, it will gring and/or make a loud bang and be very hard to get into 2nd gear. Seems like the syncros are going out.... Opinions?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Back from almost death

Now then, new issue. When I get in it 1st gear, and I climb to redline, it will gring and/or make a loud bang and be very hard to get into 2nd gear. Seems like the syncros are going out.... Opinions?
Could also be the clutch master/slave going out.

Before you bide for a whole trans rebuild, bleed the system.

I believe the process is a sticky.