Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

NEED HELP!!!!!! Clutch problems after install

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!!!!! Clutch problems after install

Ok, I just installed a new clutch with a resurfaced stock flywheel. Last night I went to go try to start it and it seemed like the battery was dead. Hooked up a jumped and that wasn't it. There is a loud grinding noise and I can feel the grinding in my clutch pedal.

The clutch is a South Bend Clutch and flywheel. At first I thought the clutch was installed wrong...took everything apart and the flywheel, clutch and inside of the pressure plate look fine.......

What it looks like is happening is this.....the outside edge of the pressure plate is rubbing against the Shift fork and there were aluminum shavings all inside the bellhousing from it.

At first I thought the clutch was installed wrong but the flat part is the pressure plate side and the other side with the springs sticking out goes towards the flywheel right????

Some have said that the hydraulics are messed up but I just put in a new GM master cylinder and slave a month ago.

The only part hitting is the pressure plate on the shift fork. Anyone know what it could be????
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
At first I thought the clutch was installed wrong but the flat part is the pressure plate side and the other side with the springs sticking out goes towards the flywheel right????
TRANS

PP springs (fingers)
____/// \\\____ Pressure plate
---------------- Clutch Disc
============= Flywheel
ENGINE

I really don't this it would be possible to put the pressure plate on backwards but the PP springs should be pointing out towards the trans not the flywheel.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rollinna65, he didn't think he put the PP in backward, he was asking about the clutch disk. And yes, it sounds like you put the clutch disk in backward. The flat side goes toward the flywheel while the side where the springs stick out most goes toward the pressure plate.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well I figured out what the problem was......the clutch was not in backwards....the LT1 is a "pull" style clutch...so the flat part of the clutch disc goes towards the PP and the other side goes towards the flywheel.

All I did was file down the flywheel and the part holding on the flywheel around .030" and it worked just fine.

The clutch drives like a stock clutch, no chatter, I can slip it, it is a full face, and it is full metal and can handle 800 ftlbs.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize. I made an assumption that we were talking about an LS1 car.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by toneloc60
I apologize. I made an assumption that we were talking about an LS1 car.
It's cool man. I kept on getting different answers from everyone because they all thought it was an LS1!! LOL
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was going to say check the disk because they are pull in LT1's. Glad ya got it fixed.

Search this Thread