Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Grinding, Moaning -is it safe to drive home?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Grinding, Moaning -is it safe to drive home?

I've got a 99 T/A with about 68k miles. Tranny is 100% original and stock - even has the skip shift.

I just drove it to school and the tranny started making strange grinding and moaning in gear. When I parked it, I could hear some grinding/spinning sounds. The sounds go away when I push in the clutch. It's particularly bad in 2nd gear.

I do know the syncro for reverse is on its way out, but haven't had any problems with the others.

I've got a 9 mile drive home, mostly freeway, and am afraid I'll kill something if I drive it. Suggestions? Ideas?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Teching In

check your fluid level.... u may be low on trans fluid... and i can tell you this... from someone that has blown up his t56.. and now i've destroyed 3/4 syncro..you prob have hurt it and i would drive it just stay out of 2nd if thats the only gear making noise, and dont get on the car, its just gona make it worse. pull it and rebuild it ASAP.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks... class is over in ten minutes... I'll see if I can limp it home. ****, **** **** I don't need the expense of a rebuilt tranny, since I don't even have the skills or equipment to pull it myself.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay i'm not an expert by any means, but first of all. reverse doesn't have a syncro. And the problem that you have sounds like the throwout bearing. That is what is wrong when a trans makes noise when running, in nuetral with the clutch engaged. I have no idea wether it is safe to drive home or not. Hopefully someone will come on here and help you out.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

what he said dont know bout the 2nd gear issue but the noise would have to be the throwout bearing. Dont feel bad currently haing my tranny rebuilt it has 65 on it also, we mmust have the same luck!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k0261886
Okay i'm not an expert by any means, but first of all. reverse doesn't have a syncro. And the problem that you have sounds like the throwout bearing. That is what is wrong when a trans makes noise when running, in nuetral with the clutch engaged. I have no idea wether it is safe to drive home or not. Hopefully someone will come on here and help you out.
Reverse does have a syncro in a t56. Thus the need for the reverse lockout solenoid to keep it from accidently going into reverse while going down the road.

The throw out bearing would make noise when the pedal is pressed to the floor, or the clutch is dissengaged. He said the sound goes away when the clutch is pressed to the floor.

More than likely a bearing is going bad inside the tranny.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Well, it made it home no problem. It grinds like crazy in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. No grind in 4th, just a little in 1st and 6th. No grind in neutral.

If it's a bearing, does that necessitate a whole rebuild?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

T56 units do not typically have bearing issues but its possible .

Does the unit have a growling sound like metal on metal or is it more like a whine ?

Last edited by thesource; 09-11-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=k0261886;10090972]Okay i'm not an expert by any means, but first of all. reverse doesn't have a syncro.
You're right ,you certainly aren't an expert by much of means.Reverse does , in fact, have a synchronizer.
Grinding & bearing noise in all but 4th gears sounds like the bearing between the input and output shafts going out. It is the first bearing to go if the oil level is low or the oil quality is bad.It can also go bad following a pilot bearing problem.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

I typically see the pocket bearing fail more so from a pilot bearing issue than lack of oil in most cases . If its a bearing , its that one .

Quick Reply: T56 Grinding, Moaning -is it safe to drive home?