Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Site Sponsor help :( Need a Twin disc clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Site Sponsor help :( Need a Twin disc clutch!

Sad but most likely true. I will not even be able to attempt for the 10.9x run NA with the stock 346 H/C/I 6spd. I took the car to the track wednesday nite for some warm up passes to start getting acclamated to the car and shifting again since I haven't had the car to the track since April. Well the car felt strong after a plug change,oil change, cleaned MAF electrodes,raised suspension for better launch weight transfer, changed the clutch fluid (just reservoir),cleaned the air filter. I took it out and on the way down I hit on the car twice and she felt really good IMO. So i go down let the car sit for maybe 30-40min's and go to pull up to the line and find out my line lock quit working and hoping thats just something simple. I pull up do a ok burnout but due to making me sit idling the car warmed up to 189deg's before the launch. I do my launch at 5000rpm and the car pulls out but i can tell somethings not right and go to shift to 2nd and can't get it in. I realize the clutch was hazing on the launch and wouldn't let it go into the next gear. I got it into gear and kept into it anyways just due to Fran96SS was logging it for me. THANKS FRAN So pissed as can be with my lovely 11.6 at 122mph with a 1.59 60ft I let the car sit for over a hour and check the fluid all is good there. Clutch didnt smell even right after the previous launch. So I pull up and do a minimul burnout and see if i can get the tires to spin so I can atleast make a full pass and get down the track. I do a small burnout and pull up to the line. I launch the car at nearly 5800rpm and the car feels like it spins but once again the clutch feels weird, not sinking to the floor but I can't get it into 2nd gear again. I believe the clutch was slipping and not letting the next shift happen. That run I aborted and showed a 60ft of 1.99 so not sure whats going on there. I can't afford to put a clutch in the car again and let alone the time. I have 85passes on this clutch and yes they are hard passes but i really didnt see how or why the clutch was going to give up already. I change the fluid more then gas in the car, almost always give the clutch cool down time with street miles to remove any glaze for the track runs. So regretfully I honestly think I wont be able to run the car until next year now with this recent find. I may just do the motor and clutch replacement but not sure what clutch to do. Oh well there it is guys sorry.

With that said I'm looking for any site sponsors etc that have a clutch they are trying out or want some good feedback on with everyone watching and looking to hear the results to get their name out there more. My car if you look in the performance section does consistant low 1.5x 60fts and is driven on the street to and from the track. Car runs low 11's consistantly and 11.0's like its a bad habit Look for some mutual help and want to get my car out there running 10.9's NA with a 100k mileage bottom ended LS1 FRC Vette!!!!!!! Your clutch would be in the eye catching MACHINE!!!!!!!

PM
Email:ecurb3@comcast.net
AIM:FartpipeZ28

If you want to help a good cause and get some nice advertising for yourself. Willing to put banner across windshield or rear window or both if i have to.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM
CARTEK Racing

Not sure people want to advertise on a car with painter's tape on the fenders...

J/K Bruce,

I say your post on Corvette Forum, sorry to hear Bro... Wish I could help you... I can send you $20 if someone wants to start a fund for the Turd!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think anyone is really going to want to jump on that deal. To basically take money out of their pocket just so you can get some more runs in this season. And then there's the risk of them hooking you up with a clutch just to find out your tranny is toast. If you can't afford a clutch than what's going to happen when you need a rebuild. You gotta pay to play, that's the nature of the game. If you're on a budget than just throw a SPEC in there and be done with it.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

transAM-98 quit the interesting view you have there. I understand the gotta pay to play concept very well. I'm sure my 2005 C6 MM6 transmission bought new from the dealership with 2-3k miles on it is just fine. So that sums that up! Only reason I put the post up is because my Car frequents the track all year, car shows, dyno days, get togethers and what I consider a fine example of a well taken care of car that is plays hard aswell. I'm a consistant driver with a 6spd trans. Just offering my car as a advertising point for a site sponsor(s). I'm very involved on many sites/forums/and I actually set up dyno days and get togethers and car shows myself just to get people together. So I consider my car and myself a great asset!!!!!

Best of luck to you and I hope to see you post track results from your build. Did a quick search and found no results from the track from you. Maybe I missed it! I'm not lighting the world on fire or anything but you sure do appear to be paying for no playing IMO!!!!!!

Last edited by Zturd; 09-13-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're right I haven't made it to track yet. Driving 150 miles to hit up the track can be difficult when i'm busy working my *** off on the weekends so when I break something I don't have to post around looking for handouts. And i didn't know that the track was the only place to have fun with these cars. I guess I better convert all my suspension over to a track only setup and throw some bigger gears in the back and get that cage installed so I can finally start "playing" with what i'm paying instead of just putting around in my car like a chump.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad,I just threw away a bunch of used clutches.Most were good still and would of easilly handled your car.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Too bad,I just threw away a bunch of used clutches.Most were good still and would of easilly handled your car.
Well the irony runs so deep on this one it'll about kill me! At Corvettes at Carlisle I was talking to Steve Doten saying how I really need to get up there on a friday and have you retune the car because we both feel with your tune would've pushed the car to where it needs to be 10.8's or better!!! Now you say that you would've had a clutch to boot. Man kick the guy while he's down Thanks for the thought though slowhawk. Somehow I'll get this thing up to you!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transAm-98
You're right I haven't made it to track yet. Driving 150 miles to hit up the track can be difficult when i'm busy working my *** off on the weekends so when I break something I don't have to post around looking for handouts. And i didn't know that the track was the only place to have fun with these cars. I guess I better convert all my suspension over to a track only setup and throw some bigger gears in the back and get that cage installed so I can finally start "playing" with what i'm paying instead of just putting around in my car like a chump.

This will be the last reply and we can go to PM from here unless you're building up to the point where you say heres a clutch . Take a quick look at the 2nd picture and notice those are Kuhmo V710 tires for road course... so dont worry about changing that suspension (mines stock), dont worry about changing those gears i have 4.10s and get 30mpg on the highway with my race car, you mentioned me racing was "playing" so there for in your own words YOU ARE NOT PLAYING! Great you work on the weekends!!! So do I!!! However I still go to the track wednesdays,fridays,saturday or sunday if i can. My cage is a bolt in and comes out in 20min's So please do your homework and once again good luck with your car and find someone else to pester while you're so busy!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 PM
CARTEK Racing

Man Bruce,

You're talking heat from this jerk and actually paying attention to him.

We both know you're a good driver, and you would be a good advertisement in my opinion.

Do you really need a twin disk? Ur not even making 500HP...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Bruce you work for Acura, I heard you were driving around one of the new RL's sipping on a latte from starbucks, those liberals always have loot

I'm sure myself or Don will find something soon

honestly, most shops pull 'good' clutches all the time because somebody wants the new 'flavor' of clutch

that slave is a new '04Z slave?