Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch balancing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch balancing

My McLeod twin disk just showed up. It has a warning on it saying McLeod doesn't pre-balance any of it's clutches and that it is the customer's responsibility.

My question is this, has anyone here used a McLeod? How much should I expect for getting mine balanced? What is the process for this?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be pretty cheap to do. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 the last time I had it done. Any machine shop should be able to help you. Just bring them your clutch setup and flywheel.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toneloc60
My McLeod twin disk just showed up. It has a warning on it saying McLeod doesn't pre-balance any of it's clutches and that it is the customer's responsibility.

My question is this, has anyone here used a McLeod? How much should I expect for getting mine balanced? What is the process for this?

That statement should be printed on all Aftermarket clutches. Am not sure if a twin disk requires the disks as well as the pressure plate, but, in single disks, the pressure plate & flywheel are balanced as an assembly. Just ask McLeod to be sure. Mine was $50.00. Expect up to a week for balancing time unless you know somebody.

FYI, my last pressure plate & flywheel assembly was out of balance by 30 grams ; this is huge. Would expect most to be off by 5-15 grams. Stock clutch to flywheel balancing is more tricky because of how GM used the flywheel to balance the rotatating assembly. Anyway, balancing is a must for all clutch installs. Good-luck
Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: clutch balancing